You may be thinking, do we even want to know? And in some ways I agree –  ignorance is bliss when it comes to the nutritional content of our food. Why ruin the taste of that ooey gooey, cheese-covered pasta at Food Fac or take away the satisfaction of licking the cream cheese frosting off your plate at the Loop?

I love embracing the ignorance (hell yeah I’m gonna eat that mac and cheese and pretend I don’t know it’s half of my day’s supposed calorie and fat intake…), so I’m using this article not as a chance to increase your guilt, but instead as an intriguing experiment to uncover the sometimes delicious, sometimes disgusting foods on Duke’s campus. Get ready for the fattest meals you can enjoy on campus.

Au Bon Pain

Turkey and Swiss sandwich (with tomatoes and honey pecan spread): 740 calories

fattest

Photo by Louisa Hanson

Taste for Caloric Content: This was a pretty standard turkey sando, though the spread was a little weird. There are definitely better turkey sandwiches on campus – instead, try the food truck Deli-icious for top notch sandwiches.

Pecan roll: 740

fattest

Photo by Louisa Hanson

Taste for Caloric Content: Ultimately, pretty small for all of its caloric punch; however, still a delicious spin off your basic cinnamon bun. It also would’ve been better warm…just sayin’…

Mac and cheese (large): 710

fattest

Photo by Louisa Hanson

Taste for Caloric Content: Remember those ski mountain lunches of enormo bread bowls filled with warm cheddar mac? This delightfully creamy mac and cheese is reminiscent of those ghosts of calories past, and it is just as satisfying whether you’re 20 or 10. So wipe that drool off your keyboard and go grab some! (Though the large may be a tad too much cheesy love for one sitting.)

Black Angus Steak and Cheese: 840

fattest

Photo by Louisa Hanson

Taste for Caloric Content: I’m not a huge roast beef fan, but with roasted peppers, caramelized onions and horseradish aioli all on a warm ciabatta this sandwich had potential. However, the bread became soggy, and there was barely any roast beef – ultimately a hard no to this sandwich.

Panda Express

3 entrée plate – Fried rice, orange chicken, spring roll with sweet and sour sauce: 1,190 calories

fattest

Photo by Izzi Clark

Taste for Caloric Content: I thought Panda was going to be that type of bad Chinese food that’s actually really good, but I was wrong. It was just plain bad. If the slug wasn’t enough to keep you away, then hopefully this will. Best item – spring roll.

Pitchforks/Café Edens

The Haystack – Tater tots, jalapeños, bacon, melted cheddar cheese, chicken gravy: 1,189 calories

fattest

Photo by Elle Wilson

Taste for Caloric Content: This is a perfect #drunchie meal. Recommendation: skip the chicken gravy and you end up with perfectly cheesy tots. (My co-taste tester and I did some serious damage on this particular item…may or may not be 5 pounds heaver and 75% happier as a result.)

McDonalds

Burger Meal – Double quarter pounder with cheese and fries: 1,360 calories

fattest

Photo by Izzi Clark

Taste for Caloric Content: Who doesn’t love those thin, salty French fries? The double patty was a tad aggressive, but minus the pickles it gets a thumbs up.

The Loop:

Oreo milkshake: 1,300 calories

One slice of carrot cake: 980 calories

fattest

Photo by Louisa Hanson

Taste for Caloric Content: I would sacrifice the calories (an entire day’s worth) for both of these items. The frosting was UNREAL on the carrot cake, and the Oreo milkshake had giant hunks of Oreos and ice cream in it – yes please!

Food Factory/Devil’s Bistro:

Penne Alfredo with grilled chicken and sautéed vegetables: 1,604 calories

fattest

Photo by Louisa Hanson

Taste for Caloric Content: If you’re in the mood for warm comfort food, order this. However, I recommend skipping the chicken…it was a wee bit rubbery.

Check out the Divinity School Bran Muffin, the hot dog bar at Penn Pavilion and the grilled cheese at the Law School for more obscenely caloric foods on campus.

For more articles about nutrition labels and ignoring them, go to these links: