Ahhh, the humble grilled cheese, an American classic that brings me back to my elementary school days. Of course, this sandwich is also for us “big kids.” It makes a great late night drunchie or a substitute boyfriend. Duke offers a variety of grilled cheese options on campus, but how do they each weigh in?

Blue Express

grilled cheese

Photo by Elysia Su

Price: $5.95

Also comes with: a pickle and bagged chips

Texture: 3.5/5

The Blue Express calls this sandwich “The Big Cheese,” although it’s actually not that big compared to the other sandwiches available on campus. The crunch of the bread is good, although the bread is a bit thin. They also throw in a tomato, which can make the inside a little soggy.

Taste: 4/5

With cheddar, Swiss and pepper jack cheese, it definitely has a variety of cheese flavors going on. The sandwich also has a delicious pesto sauce drizzled on the inside that goes well with the overall flavor. The Big Cheese is not greasy for a grilled cheese sandwich, making it a suitable lunch option if you don’t want something too heavy.

Special factor: 4/5

Everything is better with pesto.

Divinity Refectory Cafe

grilled cheese

Photo by Elysia Su

Price: $6.95

Also comes with: tomato-basil soup (you can opt to just get the sandwich, but trust me, get the soup)

Texture: 3.5/5

The sourdough bread is more substantial than the Blue Express bread, but unfortunately it doesn’t always have a good crunch to it. This may have been due to the fact that the grilled cheese is not made to order.

Taste: 4/5 (5/5 if you include the soup)

For all you cheese lovers, this has the best cheese hands down, which consists of a yummy provolone and cheddar combination. Unfortunately, the bread can be a bit bland but dipping it in the tomato-basil soup totally fixes this problem.

Special factor: 5/5

I can’t say enough about the pairing of the grilled cheese and the soup.

Café Edens (aka Pitchforks to everyone on campus)

grilled cheese

Photo by Elysia Su

Price: $6.00

Also comes with: your choice of a side

Texture: 5/5

The Pitchforks grilled cheese has the best bread. It is nice and hearty and has that perfect crunch without being too hard and crispy. If you order this, be sure to grab a stack of napkins because it is very greasy.

Taste: 4/5

This sandwich has plenty of cheesiness. While eating it, I always feel pretty great. Afterwards, it feels like oil is oozing out of my pores. One doesn’t seem to notice this quite as much when eating it after a night out. It is also the saltiest out of the three.

Special factor: 5/5

The best part about the Pitchforks grilled cheese is that you can get creative and add whatever you would like. My friend swears by the egg and pesto combination, and it’s also amazing with avocado.

The Winner: Pitchforks…kinda.

If you aren’t watching your waistline or sodium levels, go for the Pitchforks version. After an eventful night, nothing quite hits the spot like Pitchforks’ grilled cheese. However, if you are looking for a lighter option, Blue Express offers a grilled cheese that is not as greasy. Plus it comes with tomatoes, which is like eating vegetables, right?

Wanna make your own? Check out these delicious recipes: