Snacking is essential—it's what keeps you going throughout the day. But, for the past couple of years, I have become more mindful of what I eat. I started to look at nutrition labels more carefully, which lead me to end my long term relationship with some of my favorite snacks in order to avoid foods that contain artificial additives, flavorings and things that I'm sure how to even pronounce. I have been on a mission to find healthier alternatives to some of my past favorites, so here are 15 grown up versions of popular childhood snacks.  

1. Beanfields Nacho Bean Chips Instead of Doritos Nacho Cheese

I remember the first time I tried Beanfields, I instantly thought I was eating a tastier version of Doritos. Beanfields Nacho Bean Chips might have the same triangular shape as Doritos and a similar cheese taste, but there are a few key differences between the two. Beanfields Nacho Bean Chips are certified vegan, packed with protein, and are made from beans. 

2. Coconut Chocolate Chia Pudding Instead of Snack Pack Chocolate Pudding Cups

chocolate, coffee, cream, sweet, milk
Jamie Hegg

Remember those chocolate pudding cups that you used to eat for lunch in grade school? While you might not be surprised to find out that these treats are full of sugar, Snack Pack Chocolate Pudding Cups also contain ingredients like modified corn starch and artificial flavors. For a more nutritious treat, try making Chocolate Chia Pudding at home. It tastes just like desser,t but is full of hidden nutrients that you won't even notice.

3. Edougahable Chocolate Chip Off the Ol' Block Cookie Dough Instead of Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

What if I told you that there are egg-free cookie doughs that you can eat without the fear of getting salmonella? Meet Edoughable. This company specializes in creating delicious cookie doughs that are safe to eat right out of the tub. If your a fan of chocolate chip cookie dough, then you should try Chocolate Chip off the Ol' Block. It has the same consistency as good old Nestle, except Edoughable's products are meant to be eaten without baking. 

4. Homemade Healthy Baked Broccoli Tots Instead of Frozen Tater Tots 

Tater tots are a great party food, but you can make them even better by substituting broccoli for the potatoes. Besides the amazing natural green color, these homemade broccoli tater tots are a great way to show off your baking skills and sneak some vitamins into your diet. 

5. Hippeas Sunshine Sriracha Organic Chickpea Puffs Instead of Cheetos Flamin Hot Puffs

No offense to all the Flamin' Hot Cheetos lovers out there, but Cheetos don't have a thing on Hippeas Sriracha Sunshine Puffs. Not only are Hippeas Puff vegan, gluten-free, and organic, these delicious puffs are made from chickpeas, which are a good source of plant protein. I'm a bit obsessed with Hippeas.

6. Biena Sea Salt Chickpea Snacks Instead of Ritz Original Crackers

Chickpeas, sunflower oil and sea salt—three simple ingredients make up Biena Sea Salt Chickpea Snacks. These chickpea snacks are full of protein, loaded with fiber, and contain 0g of sugar. They're also gluten-free and vegan. Next time you're craving a crunchy, salty snack, reach for a bag of Biena Chickpea Snacks instead of crackers. You can even make roasted chickpeas at home.

7. Baked Paleo Chicken Tenders Instead of Dino Nuggets

I don't think anyone ever grows out of chicken nuggets, and I'm pretty sure you've tried at least once to order Dino Nuggets from the kids menu at a restaurant. If you want a more grown up version of this childhood favorite, try making Baked Paleo Chicken Tenders. They might not be as cute as dinos, but they are just as delicious and a lot healthier. 

8. Frozen Choco Banana Pops Instead of Banana Split Ice Cream Sundae

You've probably heard of "nice" cream, and if you're of fan of it, you'll love these Frozen Choco Banana Pops. You can customize them any way you want to and add crushed nuts, shredded coconut, dried fruits, and even more drizzled dark chocolate. This is a great treat for your next movie night.

9. 5-Minute Smoothie Bowl Instead of Yoplait Go-Gurt 

While Yoplait Go-Gurt may be low in calories, it's high in sugar, made from modified corn starch, and lacks many nutrients. Instead of slurping down a Go-Gurt, make a homemade smoothie bowl just under five minutes. It's fruity, creamy, satisfying, and naturally sweetened by bananas. Enjoy real fruit instead of artificially flavored yogurts that taste like berries.

10. Skinny Dipped Dark Chocolate Cocoa Almonds Instead of Peanut M&M's

I definitely prefer Peanut M&M's to regular ones, but both contain an unbelievable amount of sugar per serving. Skinny Dipped Dark Chocolate Cocoa Almond, on the other hand, only contain 6g of sugar. This snack is a good source of extra protein and contain lots of fiber, which your gut with thank you for as well.

11. Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries Instead of French Fries 

vegetable, fish, bread
Amanda Giudice

Meet potato's better and sweeter cousin, sweet potato. This orange root is high in fiber, helps maintain blood pressure and may even help protect against cancer. Sweet potatoes are also rich in Vitamin A, which is important for vision and immune health. Once you try out this Baked Sweet Potato Fries recipe, you'll forget about fast food fries.

12. Frozen Grapes Instead of Skittles 

Grapes are the candy of the fruits. They are super sweet and have a lot of sugar, but it's all natural, making them a great substitute for Skittles. Grapes are high in antioxidants, vitamins such as Vitamin C & K, and, like all fruits, have no cholesterol. They're great straight out of the bag, but even sweeter when frozen. 

13. Spindrift Sparkling Water Instead of Soda

Spindrift is a healthy summer drink for when you're craving a carbonated beverage. Their sparking waters are made with less than five ingredients and are a great way to beat the heat in the summer. They come in nine refreshing flavors to choose from such as Cranberry Raspberry and Orange Mango, which sounds much more appetizing than soda made from a brown syrup. 

14. Alter Eco Deep Dark Quinoa Crunch Organic Chocolate Bar Instead of Nestle Crunch Bar

It might seem a bit weird to pair quinoa with chocolate, but hear me out. Alter Eco Deep Dark Quinoa Crunch Organic Chocolate Bar is exactly what you need when you're craving a Nestle Crunch Bar. This vegan chocolate is free of emulsifiers and you get the same popping sensation on your tongue when you bite into it from the quinoa crisps. 

15. Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather Instead of Betty Crocker Fruit Roll-Ups 

Why buy artificially sweetened fruit roll-ups when you can make them at home? This Strawberry Banana Fruit Leather recipe is so simple to make, just blend all the ingredients together and bake. Plus, you can always put your own spin on this recipe by adding frozen blueberries or mango instead of banana.

Many popular childhood favorite snacks are filled with sugar and artificial ingredients and lack basic nutrients. So if you're trying to eat healthier, but still want to enjoy your some nostalgic snacks, then give one of these alternatives a try.