Most people take their morning coffee with some cream and/or sugar, or straight black if you’re that real. But straight coffee is kind of gross and some of us truly need a little extra something to make it less bitter and amp up the sweetness. However, cream and sugar don’t cut it for everyone. Below are 13 unusual things people put in their morning coffee, and why you might want to try them in yours, too.

1. Butter

milk, dairy product, dairy, cheese, butter
Caroline Ingalls

Butter in coffee is actually becoming a very popular trend, among celebrities like Shailene Woodley and college students alike. The mixture, termed “Bulletproof Coffee,” is made by blending together coffee with a pat of butter and some coconut oil.

The nutritional benefits behind this seemingly odd drink include improved work performance, higher and prolonged energy levels, and weight loss. Use grass-fed butter, which is a heart-healthy superfood rich in antioxidants and body fat-burning vitamins. Who said butter wasn’t good for you?

2. Salt

sweet, chocolate, condiment, salt
Angela Kerndl

No, I don’t mean sugar. Some people claim that adding salt to coffee decreases its bitterness (we’re looking at you, dining hall coffee). If you make your own coffee at home, try adding it to your coffee grounds before brewing, or to your cold brew to really maximize the flavor.

3. Cardamom

Sarina Raman

Make your morning coffee exotic by adding this Middle Eastern spice to your cup, which also acts as a neutralizer for the effects of caffeine. If you’re one of those people who gets the jitters from coffee, I’m talking to you. Cardamom was also commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine to lift spirits, reduce pain, and induce a calm state of mind. As a bonus, it can also help stimulate your appetite and settle your stomach. This might just be the miracle spice you’ve been dreaming of.

4. Egg

egg yolk, chicken, egg

And you thought the butter was weird. Scandanavian egg coffee is a traditional drink in parts of Scandinavia, Norway, and even the American Midwest. It’s made by mixing a whole raw egg into coffee grounds, then boiling it in water. It results in a separation of the coffee grounds and the water, free of sediment or cloudiness. Straining it results in an amber-colored coffee that is only mildly bitter and that still contains the essential oils from the coffee beans. It’s definitely an experiment worth trying.

5. Ice Cream

sorbet, yogurt, sweet, dairy, ice, dairy product, milk, cream
Kathleen Lee

Because why not? I can personally say that ice cream is probably the greatest addition to coffee that’s ever happened. It’s the perfect substitute for cream and sugar, making your coffee that much sweeter and easier to drink if you actually hate coffee, but drink it anyway to stay awake. If your college dining hall has an ice cream machine, I would recommend topping off your cup of joe with a scoop of your flavor of choice, and revel in the luxury of your new favorite drink.

6. Coconut Oil

cereal, yogurt, milk
Andrew Zaky

Coconut oil is used in pretty much everything these days, so why not add it to your coffee too? Advocates maintain that coconut oil enhances coffee, making it taste better and providing a whole lot of health benefits. A spoonful of the stuff will help speed up your metabolism, boost your immune system, and leave you feeling more satisfied.

7. Oatmeal

milk, sweet, oatmeal, rice, porridge
Christin Urso

Breakfast and coffee in one? Yes, please. Decrease your morning routine by adding raw oatmeal into your hot cup of coffee until the oatmeal is cooked through. Add cinnamon, honey, or sugar for extra flavor and sweetness. As a bonus, there’s one less set of dishes you have to do. It’s a win-win.

8. Tonic Water

tea, milk, coffee
Anna Latoff

Bubbly iced coffee sounds weird but also somewhat appealing, right? This combination, popular in places like Sweden, is made by pouring cold brew or espresso over tonic water and ice. The resulting drink is said to be citrusy, crisp, and refreshing (especially on those hot summer days), with an additional caffeinated kick you’ll probably need once exams start. By night, turn this drink into a cold brew gin and tonic, because you deserve it.

9. Lemon or Lime

lemon peel, juice, citrus, lemon
Caroline Liu

First there was lemon in water, now there’s lemon in coffee. Give your morning brew a citrusy kick by throwing in a fresh lemon or lime peel (but be careful not to swallow it). The peel will get rid of the bitter flavors of your coffee and enhance its sweetness. Another myth suggests that a lemon peel can clean your teeth after drinking coffee or espresso. Unfortunately, however, it can’t prevent coffee breath.

10. Coca-Cola

soy sauce, wine, soda, liquor, alcohol, beer
Kevin Dang

The more caffeine the merrier. For the ultimate pick-me-up, pour some Coca-Cola into your iced coffee, making a drink that’s said to be similar to vanilla Coke. The mixture results in a refreshing fizz that’s bubbly and sure to keep you awake throughout most of the day. Be sure to use a medium to dark roast coffee in order to decrease dilution and counteract the sweetness of the soda.

11. Vanilla Extract

beer, liquor, alcohol, wine
Kirsten Andersen

Pure vanilla extract is a great replacement for any artificial sweeteners or sugars that you would typically use in your coffee. Just a few drops of the stuff will sweeten your brew and add additional flavor minus all the fake preservatives in traditional flavor syrups. You could also try adding almond extract to experiment with flavor profiles.

12. Sweetened Condensed Milk

Phoebe Melnick

You’re never going to want to put regular milk in your coffee again after you try it with this stuff. Sweetened condensed milk added to your coffee will make it sweeter and creamier, requiring no extra sugar. A traditional drink in Vietnam, it’s super easy to make and way cheaper than any of the lattes at Starbucks you usually get.

13. Peanut Butter

jar, spoon, peanut butter, chocolate, sweet, cream, milk, dairy product, candy, coffee
Caroline Ingalls

This was actually an experiment of my own, as I have a slightly huge obsession with peanut butter and would try to eat it with everything if I could. Peanut butter will give your hot coffee a nutty, creamy taste, and provide all the benefits that come with eating it. This includes added protein to help make you feel fuller longer, healthy fats, fiber, and potassium. You could even blend coffee and peanut butter with some other ingredients to create a satisfying morning coffee smoothie.