I'm as guilty as the next person of picking something up pre-made from the store because it feels easier. But that gets old after a while, and homemade (especially when we're talking pastries) is always better. So instead of those boring old store-bought croissants, next time grab a few ingredients instead and make one of these delicious homemade pastry recipes. 

1. Cinnamon Bear Claw

cinnamon roll, dairy product, chocolate, bread pudding, pudding, pie, cream, sweet, pastry, cake
Kathleen Lee

Think of a cinnamon bun, but super airy and it melts in your mouth. That's essentially what this is, with pastry filled with cinnamon and ground almonds and a glaze made of sugary goodness. Sign me up, please.

2. Chocolate Puff Pastry Pretzel

cream, chocolate
Rayna Mohrmann

Even though this chocolate puff pastry pretzel is not technically a pretzel in any way other than the fun shape, it tastes even better. It's super easy to make and sure to satisfy any sweet tooth, plus the recipe recommends it be served with caramel sauce. Caramel sauce, people.

3. Apple Tarts

Davi Lennon

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, so don't feel too guilty if you end up making these apple tarts all the time. Got to stay healthy, right?

4. Parmesan Croissants 

meat, butter, crescent roll, sweet, bread, puff, croissant, dough, pastry
Jedd Marrero

Store-bought croissants are pretty good, but homemade croissants? Whole. New. Ballgame. You only need three ingredients, and I guarantee they'll taste way better than anything at a supermarket. Light and flaky, with the glorious addition of cheese, they're sure to be a hit.

5. Nutella Bakba

cinnamon, chocolate
Meher Pandher

This one may be a little more work than some of the other recipes, but it's one of my favorite Jewish foods, and believe me when I tell you that it's worth it. This recipe makes two loaves, so you can have babka for daaaays. There's not way to go wrong with this chocolatey goodness. 

6. Homemade Toaster Strudels

bread
Maris Altieri

Growing up, I loved Pop-Tarts, but unfortunately they weren't the healthiest so they were a rare treat. These homemade toaster strudels are the best of both worlds, aka they're actually not bad for you and are also super tasty. Plus, they're vegan!

7. Strawberry Crossover Puff Pastries

Sweet things for breakfast always get a thumbs up from me, and these homemade pastries can be made pretty much entirely from ingredients probably already lying around the kitchen. 

8. Puff Pastry-Wrapped Asparagus

rice, meat, vegetable, sushi, fish, seafood
Parisa Soraya

Puff pastry and veggies? You really can have it all. If you're looking to be a little healthier while still getting a taste of a pastry, these bad boys are your best bet. They're easy to make, and if you serve them to your friends you'll look like a pro. 

9. Apple Pie Dumplings

cake, dairy product, dough, sweet, bread, pastry
Laura Bailey

The crust is without question the hardest part of apple pie, so make life easier for yourself and make these instead. The same classic flavors all wrapped up in neat little dumplings of homemade pastries. 

10. Pastry-Wrapped Brie and Jam

pie, cookie, cake, sweet, dough, bread, pastry
Leia Idliby

Gooey cheese wrapped in golden brown pastry and whatever fruit jam tickles your fancy—I'll have 10, thanks. Just writing about this dish makes my mouth water and it's the perfect thing to bring to a party. You'll be the most popular person there.

11. Apple Pie Pastry Tacos

honey, cake, jam, pastry, sweet
Paige Marie Rodgers

A great alternative to the classic apple pie. These bite-sized babies will taste just as good as a slice, and it could even help with portion control. But just be warned that you may want to go back for seconds...and thirds.

12. 15-Minute Puff Pastry

If you haven't realized by now the wonders of homemade foods, maybe this will do the trick. Upgrade literally any recipe (from this list or anywhere else...pastry goes with everything!) by replacing store-bought with homemade dough in just 15 minutes. 

So don't get stuck in a rut of store-bought pastries when the homemade stuff is so much better. Just make one of these simple recipes instead and it'll make all the difference.