With the holidays coming up, I thought it would be a good idea to share this apple tart recipe. This recipe is my family's variation of the DuFour Pastry Kitchen's apple tart recipe. These apple tarts are the perfect balance of buttery, crispy, flaky pastry, and sweet, tangy, caramelized apples. Whether you're going to a holiday potluck, just craving a great dessert, or looking for something fun to cook with your friends, this is perfect for you. Enjoy

Caramelized Apple Tarts

• 6 Granny Smith apples
  • 1 box DuFour's Classic Puff Pastry Dough
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice or juice half a lemon
  • 1 pinch cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Salt

Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Then, peel and chop the apples into cubes.

vegetable
    Davi Lennon

Next, add the two tablespoons of butter to a very hot pan. You can tell when the pan is hot enough by throwing a little water on it to see if it bubbles. Now, wait for the butter to foam (as pictured) and subside.

saute
    Davi Lennon

Once the butter has subsided, add the cubed apples. Then, add the sugar and lemon juice.

vegetable, potato, saute
    Davi Lennon

Stir the apples until they become soft and brown as pictured. This may take as long as 10 to 15 minutes.

vegetable, meat
    Davi Lennon

Take the pan off the heat and add cinnamon.

saute, vegetable, meat, potato
    Davi Lennon

Leave the apples to sit off the heat and lay the puff pastry on a non-stick surface.

flour, dough, pastry, ravioli, sweet, egg
    Davi Lennon

Cut the puff pastry into six equal pieces and place them on a non-stick baking tray (or one lined with parchment paper as pictured here).

flour, sweet, dairy product, brie, milk, cheese, dough, pastry
    Davi Lennon

Use a fork and push into (not through) the puff pastry every half an inch or so. This doesn't have to be too precise. It just allows for air to get inside the puff pastry and make it flaky.

flour, dough, bread, dairy product, pastry, cake, sweet
    Davi Lennon

Repeat this step for all of the six squares of puff pastry.

dairy product, milk, cake, sweet, cream, cheese, pastry
    Davi Lennon

Add about a scoop and a half of apple mixture to the center of each square.

mushroom
    Davi Lennon

Take a little water on your hands and pinch the top left corner of the dough to the bottom left corner of the dough and the top right corner of the dough to the bottom right corner of the dough. The water acts as a binding agent so that the tarts don't fall apart while they're baking.

Davi Lennon

Repeat this step on all of the tarts.

Davi Lennon

Place the tray of tarts into the oven for about 25 minutes or until they are golden brown – this can sometimes take up to 35 minutes.

Davi Lennon

Pull the tarts out of the oven and set them aside to cool for 15 minutes. I know they're hard to resist, but they taste better if you wait! Also, if you add a pinch of salt to each tart, it complements the apple flavor very nicely.

chocolate
    Davi Lennon

Enjoy!

cream
    Davi Lennon