Mashed potatoes are the greatest side dish ever invented. I know that's a strong statement, but I will defend it until my creamy, potato-filled death. However, sometimes the classic combo of potatoes with salt, butter, and milk just doesn't cut it. These easy mashed potato recipes go beyond the simple version with new, innovative methods and ingredients. Hop aboard my potato train now, folks, because the next stop is mashed potato heaven.

1. Horseradish Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions

The bold flavors in this recipe work together perfectly for an exciting twist on the classic dish. Caramelized onions make anything taste better, and it turns out mashed potatoes are no exception.

2. Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes

rice, cereal, milk, cottage cheese, dairy product, dairy, curd
Lora Maghen

Who said you need potatoes for mashed potatoes? This recipe swaps out the spud for cauliflower for a lighter version of the classic that still tastes delicious.

3. Cheesy Mashed Potatoes

vegetable, dairy product, mashed potatoes, potato
Vernell Dunams

Cheese makes everything better and these mashed potatoes are proof. They only take five minutes of actual prep time, which makes these bad boys the king of easy mashed potato recipes.

4. One-Pot Mashed Potatoes 

cream, dairy product, milk, mashed potatoes, ravioli, dumpling, dairy, sweet
Helena Lin

If this recipe was running for office, its campaign slogan would be: "No more dirty dishes 2K18." Seriously, these potatoes couldn't get any quicker or easier.

5. Loaded Mashed Potato Bomb

bread, dough, potato, pastry, bread rolls
Kylie McCool

Portable mashed potatoes? Count me in. These poppers are the perfect snack for when you want to enjoy mashed potatoes on the go. And who doesn't want that?

6. Loaded Mashed Sweet Potatoes

vegetable, meat, rice, parsley
FoodBeast

Wave good bye to Yukon Gold, this recipe uses sweet potatoes instead. With bacon, sour cream, and cheddar, this is one of those easy mashed potato recipes that you'll be craving all the time.

7. Three Cheese Mashed Potatoes 

Three cheers for three cheeses. These potatoes feature Parmesan, Swiss, and cream cheese, making them one of the creamiest side dishes ever. You can also make them ahead of time so they are perfect for meal prepping.

8. Half Mashed Potatoes

meat, vegetable, gnocchi, dumpling
Emma Kelly

Ain't nobody got time to mash their potatoes fully. And guess what? That's a-okay. These half-mashed potatoes are perfect for the lazy chef who still wants a delicious side dish. In a line-up of easy mashed potato recipes, this is one of the easiest.

9. Dairy-Free Garlic and Parsley Mashed Potatoes

Dairy-free pals can still enjoy the wonders of mashed potatoes. This recipe uses vegetable stock instead of milk to give the potatoes a creamy texture and unique flavor.

10. Instant Pot Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes

There's nothing easier than mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. Also, this recipe uses sour cream and garlic for a refreshing take on the dish that doesn't depart too far from tradition.

11. Maple Brown Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes

I could eat this recipe for dessert. The maple and the brown butter bring out the sweetness of the potatoes, and the pecans on top provide a nice crunch.

Let me be clear: I'm not trying to insult traditional mashed potatoes. I don't think anything can compare to a simple spoonful of mashed potatoes with butter, milk, and salt. However, switching things up is never a bad idea and these easy recipes are the perfect way to do just that.