In most cases, our noses are the first indicators of how something will taste before we actually put it in our mouth. Usually the scent and taste of a food are in-sync, so we can typically guess that the three-cheese pasta that’s making you feel some type of way tastes just as good as it smells.

There are a few cases, however, where the two senses don’t line up. Take vanilla extract for example – a beautiful scent, but terrible when eaten just by itself. It also works the other way, where things may smell awful but taste quite the opposite, as is the case with these ten odorous but delicious foods. Give these a try, and your nose just might forgive you.

1. Durian

smelly foods

Photo courtesy of @zenkinz on Instagram

This Asian fruit is a love-it-or-hate-it type deal, but the inside is perhaps the creamiest and richest fruit you’ll ever try. It’s also pretty darn good for you, with tons of vitamins and antioxidants.

2. Kimchi

smelly foods

Photo by Irene Kim

Otherwise known as fermented cabbage, this Korean dish may not be the best thing for your nose, but it’s a staple in Asian cuisine and can be served as a side dish for pretty much everything. It’s pretty lit in fried rice, too.

3. Collard greens

smelly foods

Photo courtesy of @mamosasgp on Instagram

You’ll often find this paired with macaroni and cheese or fried chicken, ranking high in the list of soul foods from the south. They give off a strong sulfurous smell, but when cooked with the right mix of onions, broth, and ham, they’re pretty addicting.

4. Balsamic vinegar

smelly foods

Photo by Bernard Wen

Balsamic is actually one of the easier vinegars to stomach, and you can find it in a wide assortment of dishes, from a Caprese salad to salt and vinegar cookies. It may have a tangy smell, but it provides the perfect mix of tart and sweet that you really can’t find anywhere else.

5. Brussels sprouts

smelly foods

Photo by Andrea Kang

You can avoid the wonky odors by cooking them quickly – we recommend giving them a go in your broiler or in a sauté pan. If you’re able to muster both balsamic vinegar and Brussels sprouts at once, this recipe is for you.

6. Parmesan cheese

smelly foods

Photo by Jedd Marrero

There are some pretty foul-smelling cheeses out there, but parmesan smells just like the dried up sweat from the gym bag you’re always meaning to wash. But that’s totally okay because it melts nicely and makes a good combo with spaghetti squash.

7. Sauerkraut

smelly foods

Photo courtesy of @sophisticatedcaveman on Instagram

It makes a fantastic topping for hot dogs, and like kimchi, it’s fermented cabbage – just with a different set of spices. Fermentation may not always yield the most pleasant-smelling foods, but damn are they delicious.

8. Boiled Eggs

smelly foods

Photo courtesy of @danielabarboza0 on Instagram

Boiling eggs gives off a distinct sulfur smell that reeks to the high heavens above, but these protein-packed nuggets are still yummy nonetheless. Sometimes all you need is a little salt and pepper, or a small drizzle of hot sauce, and you’re golden.

9. Truffle Oil

smelly foods

Photo by Jessica Kelly

Some people totally dig the earthy smell, but to most people, it’s just reminiscent of stale farts. Once you look past it, though, you’ll see that truffle oil totally aids an earthy depth to any savory dish, especially pasta and pizzas.

10. Papaya

smelly foods

Photo courtesy of @frommybowl on Instagram

Yeah, papaya is good for you, and yeah, it’s a pretty iconic tropical fruit, but it also smells like feet and the seeds are oddly similar to baby fish eggs. Still, this fruit adds amazing flavor to smoothies and desserts, making the foot smell kinda worth it.