There are some flavor combinations that are clearly made to for dessert, like mint and chocolate or strawberry and kiwi. Other combos, like salt and vinegar, might sound weird anywhere but in a chip but make for a surprisingly dope cookie. This recipe for dark chocolate salt and vinegar cookies has distinct flavors that play off of one another to create a sweet and savory treat. We used balsamic vinegar to simulate the tanginess of the popular chip flavor, which also adds a tinge of sweetness to compliment the rich chocolate. Each individual taste is unique on its own, but when combined, they make a pretty badass team.

Dark Chocolate Salt and Vinegar Cookies

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:50 minutes
  • Servings:12 cookies

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2/3 cup dark chocolate, melted
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoon coarse salt, for garnish
Photo by Jedd Marrero

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Stir flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.

Photo by Jedd Marrero

In another bowl, cream butter and both the sugars until light and fluffy and no butter streaks remain. Add the egg and melted chocolate and mix until incorporated.

Photo by Jedd Marrero

Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Photo by Jedd Marrero

Place 1/4 cup-sized balls of dough on a prepared baking sheet, each set roughly three inches apart.

Photo by Jedd Marrero

Bake cookies for 20 minutes, or until the edges are firm. Cool on wire rack.

Photo by Jedd Marrero

Combine powdered sugar and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and mix until smooth and glossy. Add more vinegar if needed to achieve a slightly runny consistency.

Photo by Jedd Marrero

Transfer glaze to a resealable plastic bag and trim a corner to create a piping bag.

Drizzle the glaze over cooled cookies and sprinkle with your favorite coarse salt.

Photo by Jedd Marrero