Looking for a grown-up prank to pull this Mischief Night? Fool your friends with spaghetti squash.

It looks just like actual pasta, except squash is a more nutritious alternative and requires only the microwave to prepare.  Dress it up with butter and parmesan cheese, or use your favorite tomato sauce to complete the costume.  This is one prank that your friends will definitely not be angry about.

Medium

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: 6

1 spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
Optional: 1/2 cup of your favorite pasta sauce

Directions:
1.  Carefully cut the squash lengthwise down the center (may need to enlist the help of another as the vegetable has a very hard skin).
2.  Using a fork, poke about 6-8 sets of holes in the outer back side of each half.

Photo by Sarah Stettin

3.  Scrape out the seeds and pulp of the squash.
4.  Moisten a paper towel, spread it out onto a large plate and lay the two halves of the squash next to each other, face down.
5.  Microwave initially for seven minutes, and then in two-minute increments until the vegetable is tender on the inside (cooking time will vary for different microwaves).

Spaghetti Squash

Photo by Sarah Stettin

6.  Using an oven mitt, hold one half of the squash and run a fork in a downward motion until all of the vegetable has been removed.
7.  Incorporate butter and parmesan cheese to taste, or mix with your favorite pasta sauce for a healthy pasta alternative.

Photo by Sarah Stettin