Edible flowers are one of the most forgotten garnishes that can be utilized when trying to elevate the plating of a dish. This is mainly due to the fact that people are uneducated as to which flowers are meant to be eaten and where they can be bought/picked.

Farmer's markets are definitely the way to go when it comes to finding flowers best fit for garnishes, usually, these are the most unique and fresh available for use. There are also so many guides with information on which flowers are best depending on what will be done with them. The recipes below are all salads, therefore, there is a wider range of flowers to choose from, as the flowers are mainly for garnish. It may be more difficult to incorporate a wider variety of flowers into baked dishes, for example, as the flower is manipulated more.

These ten salads are simplistic and composed of only a few ingredients, but are so sophisticated due to the usage of edible flowers.

1. "Eat Flowers, Be Happy" Salad

These salads have officially confirmed my belief that food will forever be more photogenic than me. How can one not take awe over this plate?! Composed of Wild Strawberries, Grape Tomatoes, Chrysanthemum Greens

Texas Tarragon, Borage, Marigold, Lemon Thyme, and Chive Blossoms, this salad is really so naturally beautiful. 

2. Wildflower & Arugula Salad with Orange Blossom Vinaigrette & Farmer's Cheese

The plating for this salad is STUNNING. I love the usage of both whole and sliced radishes, paired with sliced apples, and of course the edible flowers. The pansies and violas are extremely delicate, yet hold their own and make a statement on the plate.

3. Rainbow Radish Salad

This salad is blooming with vibrancy in both flavor and color. The real key to this recipe is "thinly sliced;" every vegetable and flower has a crisp definition to it from the usage of a mandoline. This salad also showcases how much of an impact using fresh, natural ingredients make when it comes to presentation. 

4. Green Salad with Edible Flowers

Martha Stewart has done it again with this beautiful Green Salad garnished with tri-colored Violas. The cool thing about this recipe is that it is composed only of greens, flowers, and a light vinaigrette; very nice and light for a summer appetizer. 

5. Edible Flower Spring Salad

"Natural" is what comes to mind when I view this salad; the use of radishes and Radicchio really compliment the flowers and help to create a garden-like plate. Lauren also suggests adding lentils, pears, pepitas, etc. to the plate, but it's definitely a winner as is. 

6. Green Asparagus, Goat Cheese, and Flowers with An Orange Vinaigrette

AsparaYES. Asparagus is one of those vegetables that is so naturally beautifully; its shape resembles that of a flower and has such a nice plating presence. This dish is really so easy to create; all that is required is blanching and grilling (if desired) of the asparagus, and then finishing with a few ingredients on top. 

7. Minted Honeydew Blueberry Walnut Salad

From a quick glance, one might lettuce, but this salad is actually built on honeydew. The addition of mint, walnuts, blueberries, honey, and flowers is all that is needed in order to turn a bowl of fruit into an aesthetically painted plate. 

8. Farmer T's Herb and Flower Salad

Farmer T, I don't know who you are, but thank you for sharing this awesome recipe with the world! This salad has all the goods in it between the edible flowers (nasturtiums, bachelor buttons, calendula petals, Lanai blue verbenas) and herbs (dill, tarragon, parsley, thyme). There is such a light refreshing vibe about this salad that makes it so appealing for #summereats.

9. Sorrel Caesar Salad with Fresh Strawberrie

Caution: this is not your average Caesar salad - it's 10X better! Sorrel is a perennial with a bright and acidic flavor, perfect for the base of this dish. I admire that the chef decided to pair the flowers with strawberries in order to really make the salad pop with vibrancy.

10. Smoked Salmon Salad

I'm not the biggest fan of smoked salmon, but this salad has definitely inspired me to give it a try again. The color of the salmon creates a really nice basis for the flowers to rest upon. Also, the edible flowers on this dish are so vital in helping to pull everything together.

It's time to wow your guests and transform basic summer salads into pieces of artwork. #flowerpower for the win!