Picture this: It's Monday, and you just got back from a long day of classes and work; your stomach is growling, and you are definitely not feeling that little, prepped salad waiting for you in the fridge. What you really want is some scrumptious, warm comfort food that will satisfy your distraught stomach and your overworked self. But alas, all you have is that small, cold salad and no time or energy to make anything else. 

Don't worry; my article doesn't end on that mini nightmare because I have the answer to your end-of-the-day lackluster meals. Ready or not, here are my top 5, easy-to-make, satisfying college comfort foods to stop that dinner dread in its tracks.

1. Grilled Cheese

#photography, #cheese, #food, #cheesegrater, #cooking
Yasmeen Aboulhawa

- 2 slices bread (sourdough is my go-to)

- 2 different kinds of cheese from your routine sandwich selection (I prefer Muenster and Swiss)

- butter

- pesto

Instructions: 

Step 1: Butter the outside of the bread to achieve that crave-satisfying, crispy crunch of grilled cheese perfection.

Step 2: Take 1/2 tablespoon of pesto (or to taste preference) and spread it on ONE side of the inner grilled cheese.

Step 3: Layer 3 slices of cheese (2:1 ratio between the different cheeses) on the other slice of bread, placing the 1 different slice between the 2 slices of the same cheese.

Step 4: Sandwich the pesto and cheese between the two slices of bread, and place your sandwich in a pan.

Step 5: Slow cook the sandwich on low heat for the best chance of that Instagram-worthy cheese pull! 

#SpoonTip: Once the cheese is mostly melted, turn up the stove top heat to crisp the bread.

2. Scrambled Eggs and Toast

vegetable, bread, meat, tomato, corn, egg
Kelsey Emery

- 2 eggs

- 2 slices bread (I prefer wheat with my scrambled eggs)

- salt

- pepper

- cheddar cheese (optional)

- non-stick spray

Instructions:

Step 1: Heat the pan and crack both eggs onto it. 

Step 2: Toast your slices of bread at medium heat in the toaster for that perfect crisp.

Step 3: Cook and scramble the eggs until no longer liquidy. 

Step 4: Season the eggs with salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese, and enjoy!

3. Tomato Soup (with a childhood twist)

soup, tomato
Adeena Zeldin

- 1 can tomato soup

- 1/4 cup goldfish crackers

- parsley 

Instructions:

Step 1: Put the tomato soup in a medium-sized pot, and follow the instructions on the Campbell's soup label.

Step 2: Once heated, sprinkle goldfish crackers and a little parsley on top to make your easy soup look picture perfect.

4. Homemade Pizza

Madi Stephens

- 1 garlic naan bread

- tomato mushroom pasta sauce

- 3 mushrooms

- 3 tomatoes

- 1 heaping cup mozzarella cheese

- bacon bits

- spinach (rinsed and patted dry)

Instructions: 

Step 1: Preheat your oven to 400°F.

Step 2: Place the naan bread on an oven sheet, and spread a healthy coat of tomato mushroom sauce on top as your base.

Step 3: Chop the mushrooms and tomatoes vertically and evenly spread them out across the naan bread.

Step 4: Sprinkle a pinch of bacon bits over the mushrooms and tomatoes.

Step 5: Spread a large handful of spinach across the pizza.

Step 6: Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on the top of the spinach to melt and create that perfect pizza.

Step 7: Place in oven for 15 minutes, and enjoy!

#SpoonTip: Add an extra 3-4 minutes if you want an extra crispy pizza.

5. Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly

peanut butter, peanut, sandwich, butter, bread, jam, jelly, bit, wheat, slice, pb&j, peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Caroline Ingalls

- 2 slices bread

- butter

- peanut butter

- jam (or any type of fruit preservatives you like)

Instructions:

Step 1: Heat a pan on the stove.

Step 2: Spread butter on one side of both slices of bread.

Step 3: Spread peanut butter on the non-buttered side of one slice and jam on the other slice.

Step 4: Place one slice of bread, butter side down, onto the pan and sandwich it with the other slice. 

Step 5: Cook for 4 minutes, until the sandwich is golden brown.

(This PB and J was inspired by this recipe on Allrecipes.)

Life is guaranteed to get crazy from time to time, and we cannot always have perfectly prepped meals for the entire week. You have earned some comfort food made at home without breaking the bank. Cook up your top choice from my 5 favorite homemade comfort foods; cue your favorite TV show; and relax!