Apples are one of if not the most universal fruits. I eat at least one every day of my life not because "an apple a day keeps the doctor away," but because I'm addicted to them! They wake me up more than coffee, and since I can dip them in so many different things, I never get bored of them. I even ate an apple with peanut butter for breakfast everyday for six months. 

If you're about to work out, watch Netflix, make a "healthy" dessert, or just want something to do in the kitchen—then apples are perfect for you. 

The Athletic Apple

apple, juice, sweet, cider
Davi Lennon

I cannot tell you how much I rely on this combination before sports. It's the holy grail of pre-workout snacks. Grab any apple you want—I prefer Granny Smith—and some nut butter and you're set. I like to use smooth Jif peanut butter, but if you like almond butter, sun butter, or any other nut butter, they work just the same.

These nut butters provide a ton of protein so that oxygen and nutrients can easily be transported to your muscle cells. This means you will be more fueled and energized throughout the entirety of your sports/training event. 

apple, peanut butter, milk
Davi Lennon

The Chocolate Apple

apple, cider
Davi Lennon

This apple is perfect if you want something sweet but healthy. The chocolate in the chocolate hazelnut butter provides the sweet factor of a dessert while the hazelnut butter provides lots of protein. This is a great pre/mid-workout snack as well as a great after school snack.

apple, milk
Davi Lennon

The Sweet Tooth Apple

apple, beer
Davi Lennon

All you do to make this apple is take about 1 part cream cheese to 1/4 part brown sugar and a splash of vanilla extract and swirl it together. You can change the amounts of any of the ingredients to your liking.  

Yes, I know cream cheese and apples sounds disgusting, but mixed with brown sugar and vanilla it turns into candy. I was shocked to find out how amazing this tasted and I am so glad I did because this recipe is quick, easy, and satisfies a dessert craving.

cream, lime, lemon
Davi Lennon

No matter the occasion, apples are the way to go. Depending on what you pair with them, you can't go wrong. Remember, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.