Quinoa is a nutty seed that originates from the Andes Mountains in South America. Many of us assume Quinoa is a grain, but it is actually a seed, and an extremely powerful one too. It packs more protein per serving than any other grain or seed, and it contains all nine essential amino acids. 

Now the big question remains, how do you say 'quinoa' without sounding like an idiot? Before I share how to pronounce quinoa, let's first explore all of the reasons why you should even care about how to pronounce quinoa properly in the first place.

Quinoa is Gluten Free

millet, quinoa, condiment, cereal
Christin Urso

There is a common misconception that quinoa is a grain, when in reality it's actually a seed. It shares common taste and texture components of grains, which makes it a tasty and easy to use gluten-free substitute. 

Health Canada issued a statement revealing that there are as many as 300,000 reported cases of Celiac disease in Canada. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease which inhibits an individual from properly digesting the gluten proteins found in wheat.

For those suffering from Celiac disease, gluten-free substitutes are often unappetizing and scarce. Quinoa is a great option as a gluten-free substitute because its taste and texture naturally mimic that of wheat and grain products that contain gluten. 

#SpoonTip: Try this easy 3-ingredient quinoa pizza crust recipe to make your next pizza night gluten-free.

The Health Benefits of Quinoa

couscous, quinoa, groats, millet, corn, buckwheat, porridge, cereal, wheat
Christin Urso

In terms of its nutritional content, quinoa packs a mean punch. One cup of cooked quinoa will provide you with 8 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre, along with magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium, vitamins B-1, B-2, B-6, and omega-3 fatty acids. Its vitamin, mineral, and fibre content per serving is an easy way to ensure the maintenance of a healthy diet.

Quinoa is a complete protein, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids. Vegetarians and vegans often struggle to consume complete proteins, which is why quinoa is also a great addition for individual's following plant-based diets. 

#SpoonTip: Check out these 17 vegan quinoa recipes the next time you're in the kitchen. 

How to Pronounce Quinoa

We now know how healthy, nutrient-dense, and delicious quinoa is, but how do we pronounce this tricky word properly? Many people believe that you should pronounce it as "kwuh-NO-uh" or "KWIN-wah," but rest assured that neither of these are correct. 

Quinoa is properly pronounced as "KEEN-wah", according to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the Oxford English Dictionary and several other online video tutorials

There you have it, the answer to the controversial quinoa mystery is finally solved. It's pronounced as "KEEN-wah," and now that you know how to pronounce quinoa without sounding like an idiot, there is no excuse not to incorporate this nutrient-dense, superfood into your diet. 

Quinoa is a delicious food that should no longer be put on the back shelf due to its intimidating name. For far too long we have neglected to acknowledge all of its benefits out of fear of sounding like an idiot when pronouncing it. That time has come and gone. It's almost 2018 people— not eating quinoa is so last year.