Working with chocolate can be pretty intimidating. I know I've watched more than one Great British Bake Off contestant fumble over their chocolate work, but it doesn't have to be that way. Keep reading and I will teach you how to melt chocolate in the microwave.

The traditional way to melt chocolate is to use a double boiler. The steam from the bottom pot heats the upper pot, allowing the chocolate to melt without burning it from direct heat. Since most college students, however, don't have a double boiler, this recipe uses a microwave to melt the chocolate. This is a super simple hack that makes silky and luscious melted chocolate. 

Melted Chocolate

• A chocolate bar or chocolate chips
coffee, candy, cream, sweet, milk, chocolate
Kara Schiaparelli

Cut up the chocolate bar into chunks using a serrated knife (this will make it easier to melt). Though if you are using chocolate chips, you can just skip this step.

sweet, candy, chocolate bar, milk chocolate, milk, chocolate
    Kara Schiaparelli

Place your chocolate chunks or chips into a microwaveable bowl.

candy, milk chocolate, milk, chocolate
    Kara Schiaparelli

Per one cup of chocolate, heat for a minute at medium high in the microwave. Give it a stir and then put it back in the microwave for 15-20 second intervals until it is nice and smooth.

truffle, chocolate cake, cream, cake, chocolate
    Kara Schiaparelli

#SpoonTip: Keep a close eye on your chocolate. Don't let it burn or seize up. That won't make a very nice dessert!

Now that you know how easy it can be to work with chocolate, go a little bit further. Up your game by learning how to temper chocolate or make chocolate curls. This is a bit harder, but totally worth it when you make the perfect curl.

If you want something quick, however, melted chocolate is also perfect for dipping biscotti, and making hot chocolate and truffles. With these skills, you'll be able to impress all your friends at your next party with all of these fancy desserts.