I don't care what anyone says, kale is not tasty. Even if you’re someone who claims to love it, there’s no way you genuinely crave kale. Sorry, you’ve been caught in your twisted veggie lie. With that said, kale isn’t bad health-wise. In fact, it’s actually great for you. According to Healthline, kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on the planet. But, mighty veggie gods, why does it taste so freakin’ bad? If you're on the same struggle bus I am, here's how to make kale taste good (really!) five simple ways. 

Make Kale Chips

vegetable, herb, kale, broccoli, cabbage
Alex Tom

Kale chips are a great way to mask the bitter taste and rough texture of this leafy green. Rip or cut two-inch pieces off a head of kale, drizzle on some olive oil and salt, and bake them in the oven until crispy. You’ll finish them quicker than a bag of potato chips.

Add Citrus

lemon, citrus, juice, lemon peel
Caroline Liu

Acidic citrus like lemon can help cut the harsh taste of raw kale. Massage the leaves like you’re kneading dough. This will not only incorporate the citrus, but it will also soften the leaves and make them less tough. Use it as a base for salad or incorporate it into one of your favorite dishes.

Hide It

milk, coffee, smoothie, sweet, milkshake, cream, yogurt
Christin Urso

This might sound strange, but for people who just really can’t stand the taste of kale it’s best to pretend that it’s not there. Use kale as a secondary ingredient in things like smoothies, soups, or sauces that have bigger, stronger flavors to mask the kale flavor you’re trying to avoid. 

#SpoonTip: The blueberries and cinnamon in this fruity kale smoothie completely mask the taste of kale. 

Make a Salad

salad, Healthy, Thai, homemade, Vegan, coconutbowl, kale, cabbage
Nicole Burnett

Trade out romaine lettuce for kale in a Caesar salad. Since Caesar dressing is a creamier dressing, it does a good job muting the bitter kale flavors. However, the taste of kale is still present, so try this option if you’re a more comfortable with that.

Prepare It Like Your Favorite Veggies

legume, vegetable, pea, edamame, salad
Elyse Belarge

Nobody likes drastic changes, especially when it comes to new foods. To prevent that, simply add kale into the ways that you already eat vegetables. Garlic and olive oil, cheese, and different spices work wonders on this leafy green. Add cooked or steamed kale to your preferred method of getting in veggies, and soon you won’t remember the times when you fended off this superfood.

There’s no denying that kale is beneficial for our health, but the unpleasant taste can often turn people away. Try any of these methods to make amends with the veggie gods, accept this powerful superfood, and finally make kale taste good!