You know that moment when it's time to cook, but the recipe you want to make provides temperature information that you're unfamiliar with? Don't worry, when you don't have a calculator on hand, there are other ways how to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. 

What's the difference between Celsius and Fahrenheit? 

milk, cream, cookie, sweet, candy, chocolate
David Zambuto

Celsius and Fahrenheit are two measurements of temperature. Key differences between the two are that the boiling point of water is 212 degrees Fahrenheit and 100 degrees Celsius and that the freezing point of water is at 32 degrees Fahrenheit and 0 degrees Celsius. 

Why do some recipes use Celsius and others Fahrenheit? 

oat, milk, cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, granola, muesli
Camilla Caffo
Recipes either appear in Celsius and/or Fahrenheit due to their country of origin's use of the metric system (as Europe does) or imperial units (as the United States does). All countries in the world except for the United States, Myanmar and Liberia use the metric system.

What are some ways to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit without a calculator? 

tacos, chicken, avocado
David Zambuto

Without a calculator, there are many means to convert Celsius to Fahrenheit.

1. By Hand

juice, pasture, nectarine, peach, apple
David Zambuto

Multiply the Celsius temperature by 1.8 and add 32 to get the Fahrenheit conversion With this method you get the exact temperature conversion degree. 

Example: What is the temperature in Fahrenheit from 10 degrees celsius? 

(10*C x 9/5) + 32= *F

(10*C x 1.8) + 32= *F

(18) + 32 = *F

50= F

You find that 10 degrees Celsius is equal to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. 

2. Visual Conversion

cookie, chocolate
Brooke Buchan

Use an infographic chart to visually convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. With this method, there are no mathematic calculations necessary. 

3. Unconventional Mathematics Formula 

water, chocolate
David Zambuto

Multiply the Celsius degree by 2, subtract by the first digit of the Celsius temperature then add 32. It's a unconventional method but simpler in comparison to using the value 1.8 by hand. Please note that using this method may require subtracting a degree or two for a complete accurate conversion. 

Example: What is the temperature of Fahrenheit from 10 degrees Celsius? 

((10*C x 2) - 1 ) + 32 = ?F

((20)-1)) + 32 = ?F

19 + 32 =?F

51=?F

You find that 10 degrees Celsius is roughly equal to 51 degrees Fahrenheit. 

4. Reference Recipes with Similar Conversions

sweet, cookie, chocolate
Missy Miller

Consult other recipes that contain similar temperature units. Recipes often account for differences in temperature units, so they list the degrees in Fahrenheit and Celsius, which provides a method that's free of any mathematics. 

How does one convert with a calculator?

chicken, sauce, pasta
Camilla Caffo

Just in case you might not prefer the methods that don't use a calculator here are a few links to online calculators for all your cooking techniques. Google has an easy-to-use calculator that can convert temperatures from either Celsius to Fahrenheit or Fahrenheit to Celsius. And Digikey Electronics offers a free online calculator for your conversion needs, too.