As the warm weather finally starts to kick in, it's important to keep hydrated. I've had moments when standing in line in the summer heat has ended with me hitting the pavement (fainting is never as romantic or funny in real life as it is in the movies). A reusable water bottle is a great way to prevent run-ins with dehydration. Just find a clean water source, fill up, and you're on your way. One possible impediment can come once it's time to figure out how to clean said water bottle. This can become increasingly frustrating if you're extra fancy and have a straw attachment in the bottle. However, this step-by-step guide will make learning how to clean a water bottle super easy.

Step 1: Assemble Your Supplies

Jahmani Turner

Think of this as if it is the Avengers and you need to assemble your team to defeat Thanos (NO SPOILERS—don't worry, I just couldn't resist one quick reference). This step may not seem necessary, but running back and forth from your room and rummaging through your desks for items can make things more hectic than it needs to be.  

The items needed are:

- Bristle bottlebrush (black brush pictured above)                          - Small tube brush aka straw cleaning brush (white brush pictured above)                                                      

- Dishwashing liquid                                                          

- The reusable bottle (of course)

The two brushes are inexpensive and can be purchased on Amazon or at Walmart

Step 2: Disassemble the Water Bottle

Jahmani Turner

Taking the water bottle apart makes cleaning all the nooks and crannies a lot easier, and it's far simpler than it sounds. Start by unscrewing the lid of the bottle. Now you have access to the straw. Some straws are rigid and stand straight in the bottle, while other straws are rubbery and flexible. The rigid straws might take a bit more strength to detach from the nozzle.

#SpoonTip: Turning the straw while tugging it off seems to be the easiest way to pull it loose.

Jahmani Turner

Step 3: Use the Bottlebrush

Jahmani Turner

This step is pretty self-explanatory. Simply clean the inside of the bottle with the larger brush. A sponge won't be able to get down to the base of the bottle and scrub away any residue.

Step 4: Scrub with Tube Brush

Jahmani Turner

Take the smaller brush and plunge it halfway through the straw. Then turn the straw to the other side and repeat. The nozzle will also have to be cleaned. Try to place it in the position it needs to be in for water to fully flow through. Space in the nozzle may be a little tight, so use a twisting motion similar to the one used to detach the straw.

#SpoonTip: Do not overdo it with the detergent. Using any more than a pea-sized amount will only make it more difficult to get rid of the bubbles.

Step 5: Rinse Well

Jahmani Turner

Turn on the faucet and use warm water to rinse off the detergent. The brushes can be used for this step as well if you want to be thorough. Be sure to clean the brushes of the detergent beforehand. Now, you're set to clean a water bottle and your brush. 

Optional Step for a Stronger Clean 

Jahmani Turner

Maybe you've waited for a little too long between cleanings. Maybe someone drank from your cup accidentally. Perhaps you just get paranoid about bacteria creeping up in your drinking bottles. Take 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda, place it in warm water, and allow the solution to sit in the bottle for a few hours. Rinse thoroughly after. Bleach can be used as well, but baking soda is perfectly suitable.

With these few easy steps, figuring out how to clean a water bottle is no longer an intimidating task. Stay hydrated this summer, and remember to clean your reusable water bottles well before they get grimy inside.