It's true—the food you eat does effect your mood. Eating fried food and junk food makes you feel tired and bloated because most of the time these foods lack the vitamins and minerals that fuel your mind and body. If you're in need of a mood boost, try these superfoods that are sure to revitalize you.

1. Seaweed

vegetable, seaweed salad, wakame, herb
Jaye Lind

Seaweed is full of surprising health benefits. It contains a ton of iodine which helps the thyroid moderate energy and weight, and it fights depression. Now you have an excuse to eat all the sushi you want.

2. Walnuts

nut, walnut, sweet, cereal, honey
Torey Walsh

All nuts are packed with protein, but walnuts also contain omega-3 fatty acids that increase happiness and prevent heart disease. A handful of walnuts a day keeps the bad moods away!

3. Coconut

milk, ice, water, sweet, soda, tonic
Gabby Phi

Coconut contains triglycerides, which are fats that produce energy after a meal. So if you're feeling tired, try coconut water or coconut milk for a boost of energy. 

4. Beets

sweet, beet, vegetable, candy
Margaret Weinberg

Besides being a beautiful color, beets are mood stabilizers because they have a lot of magnesium. They also contain a vitamin called betaine, which helps produce serotonin (a chemical in the body that regulates mood, appetite, and sleep). Dress up a salad with some colorful beets or even try beet lemonade

5. Turmeric 

soup
Amylou McBride

Turmeric is totally trendy nowadays and is used in lattes, curry, and other everyday foods. The primary ingredient in turmeric, curcumin, can help fight depression and work as an anti-inflammatory agent. If you look good, you'll feel good.

6. Swiss Chard

vegetable, lettuce, swiss chard, chard, salad
Jonathan Hsu

It's official—Swiss chard is the new kale. It's full of magnesium, which increases energy. If you need inspiration on ways to use Swiss chard, check out these recipes.

7. Pumpkin Seeds

It may not be fall anymore, but you should still eat pumpkin flavored foods. Pumpkin seeds are especially beneficial when you're feeling down or overwhelmed because they contain the amino acid tryptophan, which produces serotonin and is calming. 

8. Green Tea

vegetable, water, matcha latte, green tea, iced matcha latte, iced latte, green drinks, matcha
Sam Jesner

Green tea is a great pick me up since it has natural caffeine, and it's less sugary than other caffeinated drinks. It can be used in a variety of recipes, so you're bound to find a delicious use for it.

9. Avocado

vegetable, avocado, cheese, guacamole, herb
Honorata (Nora) McIntyre

Chances are, you're already incorporating a lot of avocado into your diet, which is a great thing. Avocados contain healthy fats that decrease anxiety. So, go ahead and make avocado toast a daily breakfast food, or chips and guacamole a weekend tradition. 

10. Peas

pea, vegetable, legume, pasture, snap pea, snow pea
Spoon University

You can thank your parents for making you eat peas as a child because they're full of iron. Iron fights exhaustion and increases feelings of happiness. Try some of these sophisticated ways to use peas in a meal.

11. Flaxseeds

Flaxseeds have a variety of health benefits, including lowering blood pressure, improving cholesterol, and boosting your mood. They're high in omega-3 fatty acids, which makes them a great replacement for fish. 

Incorporating some of these superfoods into your diet can have a positive impact on your mood, and it's pretty simple to do. So, why not try it—a happy stomach leads to a happy person.