I'm sure you've heard a million people say "new year, new me" in the new year. It's a little more than a week in and probably not much has actually changed. Am I right? Lately I've been hearing a realization from people that a new year isn't an excuse to start over and make improvements, because time doesn't actually stop. It's a concept that humans created.

The truth is, whether you want to accept the concept of a calendar year or not, a new year is actually the perfect time to hit the reset button and set some new goals. 

A new semester has just started (for most people) and that in itself is a good opportunity to make some changes. Personally, I tried some lifestyle changes in 2016 that brought me the success I was looking for in my life. I highly recommend trying out some of these tips and reaching for the life you really want in 2017. I define success as being happy, healthy, confident in our abilities, and excited about every day because you live a life you love.

Say Yes to New Experiences

Don't be afraid to jump in a car with your best friend and take a 10-hour road trip to a state you've never been to just to visit people you've never met at a college you didn't know existed. I actually did that in 2016 and had the time of my life (shout out to Maddy, you rock). Take every chance you get to make new friends too, you can never have enough homies in your life. We all need homies.

Along with that road trip, I also tried to seize every opportunity I had to travel with friends and make memories. Try going to a nude beach with your besties, or buy those expensive concert tickets, or book a spontaneous trip to Colombia just because you can. Probably nothing is more important than making good memories. Spend some time going on adventures with your new or old friends. In 2017, vow to make time to make memories.

Organize Your Sh*t

2016 taught me what hard work and sacrifice was. I worked my lil' butt off to get a great internship as well as amazing writing opportunities. If you want something in life, you can absolutely have it as long as you work for it. Do something every day that your future self will thank you for. 

No one will knock on your door and hand you what you dream of. What you have to do is figure out where you want to be in the near or distant future and then figure out the steps you need to take to get there. Maybe you want to be the best financial advisor in the game or maybe you want to be in the NFL. It doesn't matter what you do as long as you go for it. Create a game plan for your success and execute it.

Work Harder Than You Ever Thought You Could

Sometimes I had to give up my Friday nights to stay late at my internship or cancel my Netflix subscription to focus on my writing more, but it brought me more success than I could have imagined for myself. Be relentless and put in the longer hours and the extra effort, and the results you want will come. No matter what you're doing, always show up and give it your all.

I realized I was capable of doing anything, and now I'm confident that 2017 will be a dope year. You don't have to be perfect at everything you try, just be kind and work hard and things will fall into place, believe me. 

Get Fit 

Health is a huge part of success, because it's a huge part of being happy. I've always loved exercising, but towards the end of 2016 I got more serious about working out and reaped rewards from it that extended beyond my physical appearance. I was more confident in myself, I was sleeping like a baby, I felt like my mind was at peace, and I was always in a good mood after starting my day with a workout. 

Working out is super important but so is eating healthy in addition to that. I've gotten really into cooking lately and I find that it's not only fun but morally rewarding to take care of yourself. There's plenty of easy and healthy recipes out there in the world, especially on Spoon. Don't forget it's all about balance though, don't beat yourself up for having a burger every once in a while.

These are some suggestions I have to have success in 2017. Hopefully in a few months you'll be having a good time.