Until recently, I had always thought having a skin care routine that's more than two steps was unnecessary and simply the result of marketing gimmicks from companies like ProActiv and Clearasil. Looking back, I probably could have prevented a lot of breakouts if I had treated my skin better, and known about the miracle toner, the multi-faceted, apple cider vinegar. If you're curious about trying apple cider vinegar toner for yourself, here's what you should know before adding it to your beauty regimen.

Honestly, What Is Toner?

vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, sweet, cider, juice, apple
Alyssa Modos

TBH, when my mom first told me about this natural miracle, I actually had to look up when and how to use toner, and WTF it was even for. In case you are as uninformed as I am, you apply it after washing, and before moisturizing. It's purpose is to deeply cleanse your pores of oil and dirt, while making them appear smaller, and skin less blotchy as a whole. 

As for how the apple cider vinegar comes into play, it's pretty simple. Most online resources from people who use it as a toner make a watered down mixture so as not to be too harsh on your skin. They also recommend different concentrations depending on how oily or dry your skin is.

How Do You Use It?

I've just been using apple cider vinegar straight up in very small amounts. To be safe, and still keep it simple, I would recommend using a damp cotton pad and then adding small amounts of apple cider vinegar onto it. By small amount I mean turning the bottle over quickly they way you do with nail polish remover on a cotton ball.

Phoebe Melnick

For best results, apply this homemade apple cider vinegar toner twice a day, as part of your normal skin care routine. You'll be amazed how quickly you see results and how rejuvenated your skin feels. Even if you decide to buy organic, a 16-oz bottle will cost you just $3.49, and will literally last you years. If you can find a cheaper toner that works half as good as this, please inform the world —you will have discovered a new miracle.