Taking an apple cider vinegar shot (aka ACV) has become a part of my morning routine. The benefits of it were clear soon after I began religiously taking a shot a day, and I suggest everyone add this to their diet to kickstart a healthy lifestyle. Keep reading to hear some of my tips for drinking this pungent vinegar. 

What's ACV?

beer, condiment
Mike Mozart

More literally, apple cider vinegar is made out of the liquid of crushed apples. Bacteria and yeast are added to it to start fermentation and then—bam!—you've got ACV. It's sold at grocery stores and drugstores, and my personal favorite is the brand pictured above (Bragg Organic). It may be a bit more expensive than the store brand, but it's raw, unfiltered, unpasteurized, and organic. 

ACV is rich in acetic acid, probiotics, magnesium, potassium, and enzymes, all of which have many healing qualities for the body. 

Why Should I Take a Shot of This Stuff?

AVC is liquid gold. The internal and external benefits of drinking it on the daily are seemingly endless. According to CNN, this vinegar has been shown to help lower blood sugar in type 2 diabetics, may aid weight loss, and helps prevent mosquito bites from itching. 

#SpoonTip: If you're a diabetic taking ACV, let you doctor know. Nutritionist Lisa Drayer told CNN that ACV may amplify the effect of certain diabetes medications, so definitely chat with your doctor first. 

The acetic acid in this kind of vinegar is a huge component in its miracle working. It kills "bad" bacteria and fosters the growth of "good" bacteria, meaning that ACV can benefit skin, digestion, and immunity health with no side effects. 

The Month-Long Experiment 

Fruit, Healthy, apples in hand, red apples, fuji apples, 3 apples, apple

Before starting this experiment, my thoughts were simple. My mom cooks with ACV, I love apples, and I like vinegar on my salad. How bad could it be? Well, just as bad as taking a regular shot is my answer. 

The first week and a half I had to get used to taking a pungent shot of vinegar every morning. In the beginning it felt like I was getting my day started with a shot of alcohol and I wasn't into it.

#SpoonTip: Take the shot before you brush your teeth, so you can brush the taste out after. 

At the end of week two, I was finally used to the taste and not gagging anymore. This was when I finally started feeling and seeing the results. The small shot would actually fill me up so I didn't need to eat as much. My skin also got significantly "glowier." 

#SpoonTip: Don't take the ACV out of a shot glass. Take it out of the bottle or pour a bit in a cup, so it feels less like pregaming your day. 

Weeks three and four were simple. It became part of my morning routine and the taste became familiar. Also, when you start seeing positive results from something, it becomes easier to do. 

The Results

fitness, water, Sneakers, hydration, hydrate, gym, Work Out, exercise, music, motivation, working out, Exercising
Denise Uy

After a month, I decided that ACV was not something I wanted to take out of my diet. I lost four pounds during the month, noticed healthier skin, less stomachaches, and just overall felt like it started me on the right track in the morning. 

#SpoonTip: Leave the bottle of ACV wherever you get ready in the morning, so you don't forget to take it. The bottle can be stored in room temperature, it doesn't need to be refrigerated. 

With this in mind, I live a healthy lifestyle already. I exercise regularly and have a healthy diet. So while ACV will not miraculously fix all your problems if you still eat McDonald's for every meal, it can help set you on the right track for making healthier choices.