It's the first week of the new year, and you're ready to conquer the day. You start off with a protein smoothie, squeeze in an early morning workout, then move on to your meal prepped lunch. A few hours go by and those wicked 3 o'clock cravings hit hard but the new and improved you fights through it and snacks on some veggies instead of the cookies you're actually craving. Finally, the clock strikes 6 and it's dinner time. 10 minutes go by as you place your spoon down and guiltily stare at the bottom of an ice cream container that falsely claimed to be “bottomless.” For most of us, this situation sounds all too familiar.

The phrase “new year, new you” probably plays back in your mind like a broken record. The idea is very refreshing and the endless possibilities gives you a boost of motivation. But, what happens when this boost of energy runs out at the end of January? This is where many people struggle and end up abandoning their resolution. Changing unhealthy habits that are years old is extremely hard and definitely not a quick fix. 

cookie, chocolate, ice cream, ice, cream, sandwich, cake
Phoebe Melnick

The first step to becoming healthier is having the desire to do so, and by reading this article, you’re already on the right track. Being consistent with your workouts and nutrition is key to leading a happy and healthy life. Lucky for you, there are tricks you can learn that can help you stay on track during the new year.

Set Mini Goals

Now, you may think I am referring to weight loss goals, but I encourage you to place your focus on your mind and body, not the scale. I highly encourage ditching the scale not just because it's “so 2017” but because it’s common to gain muscle while losing fat. This means that numbers can be misleading and they don't always reflect what you see in the mirror. Instead, time how long you can hold a plank, or count how many crunches you can do in a set amount of time. Then, try to double those numbers in a month or two. This is an example of a realistic goal that you can keep building up with time. It's exciting to see improvement and this satisfaction will encourage positive energy.

Find Exercises That you Enjoy

Working out becomes less like a chore and transforms into something you actually want to do, crazy right? From sun salutations in yoga, to shimmying in zumba, or biking in a cycling class, there is something out there for everyone. If you would rather workout in the comfort of your home, there are online classes that are just as effective. Working out isn't all push ups, running, and crunches. There are so many ways to get your heart pumping.

Social Media

water, phone, IPhone, music, earphones, working out, Work Out, cardio, exercise, Exercising, fitness
Denise Uy

Social media can act as a daily reminder as to why you started this journey in the first place. You can follow fitness accounts or create your own to build a community based on health. The common thread of wellness between users becomes a support system because of the shared fitness and nutrition goals. Posting your meals can help you become more self aware by tracking what you put into your body. No one is saying you have to become a complete foodie, but you should take pride in the meals you create. Fueling your body with the proper proteins, carbs, fats, nutrients, and vitamins it needs can bring out an artistic side you never knew you had.

Knowledge is Key

We all know how easy it is to slip back into old habits but having a good background on fitness and nutrition will help you keep your resolution. To help you stay on track, it could be beneficial to use a Fitbit, Apple Watch or an app on your cellphone. This way, you can track your steps, calorie intake, and activity period lengths. By having a better understanding of all of these factors, you can gain control of your health and fitness journey.

These healthy habits will soon evolve into a lifestyle and for 2019, you won't even need a resolution.