This summer, I have my first ever internship. Since the internship is paid, I am focusing on saving as much as I can so that I have spending money during the school year. Usually, bringing lunch to work saves more money than buying lunch in the cafeteria every day. I also want to make sure that everything I am eating has a ton of veggies and protein so that I can stay full and focused at my desk. I decided to try some new healthy (and tasty) lunch recipes that are so good, they're bound to make my co-workers jealous, and keep my diet and budget on track.

1. Harissa Farro Salad

vegetable, salad, meat
Ellen Gibbs

According to Food Network, one cup of farro only has 220 calories and 2 grams of fat, but also has 8 grams of protein as well as vitamins. That makes this spicy and zesty salad a smart choice for a filling lunch at your desk to keep you focused all afternoon while in and out of meetings.

2. Honey Lime Chicken with Broccoli and Rice

rice, broccoli, chicken, lime
Kathryn Eng

I love packing chicken for lunch, especially when it has exciting flavors like this recipe with honey, lime, garlic, and cumin. You could eat this chicken with any side dishes, like rice and broccoli as pictured, but I also like green beans and roasted potatoes as filling and healthy options. 

3. Veggie Pasta Primavera

pasta, penne, macaroni, vegetable, basil, sauce, spaghetti, tomato
Lily Allen

Sometimes pasta gets a bad reputation as being unhealthy, but this pasta primavera is a great option for eating veggies in a creative way. This dish is also versatile enough where you can add spices or sauces to give this dish some extra flavor and variety.

4. Turkey Chili

Stephanie Cozza

Chili is a nice cold-weather food because it keeps you warm and full. In the A/C tundra that is corporate office buildings, sometimes you need a warm (and healthy) meal to keep you full and focused on all those Excel spreadsheets.

5. Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats

vegetable, cheese, sauce, tomato, meat, pizza, zucchini
Abigail Shipps

While Italian sausage and cheese are not exactly the healthiest ingredients, putting them on top of a zucchini boat is another great way to sneak extra veggies into your day. This is also a complete meal in one vessel, which makes it the perfect for my mall work lunch bag.

6. Sofrita Bowl

avocado, salad, quinoa, chicken
Katherine Baker

Sofritas are shredded tofu pieces that are cooked in a fragrant Latin American spice blend called sofrito. This Chipotle copy cat sofrita bowl is a meal that is guaranteed to keep your weekday lunch zesty and make all of your coworkers jealous.

7. Healthy Homemade Fried Rice

rice, vegetable, fried rice, risotto, meat, chicken
Abigail Wilkins

I think that Chinese takeout is awesome when it's from a place that makes the food fresh and in a way that is not greasy and heavy. When I get a craving for Chinese food, but I am trying to save money and eat healthy, I like to whip up my own quick rice or noodle dish. Fried rice is also a great one-container meal for your work lunchbox. This recipe only takes 20 minutes to make, and it has plenty of veggies, protein, and grains to keep your hunger at bay.

8. Turkey Meatballs

sauce, meat, beef, meatball, spaghetti
Kirby Barth

Turkey is an awesome ground beef substitute because it is lean and it absorbs all kinds of flavors. These meatballs jazz up the typical cafeteria meatball sub while still being healthy and making all of your co-workers drool with envy.

9. Sesame Chicken Slaw Mason Jar Salad

I do not like boring salads at all, which makes it difficult for me to eat all of my servings of veggies sometimes. Mason jar salads, however, are a compact solution for healthy lunch on the go. There are so many kinds of mason jar salads, but I chose this Sesame Chicken Slaw Salad because it is unique. The sesame-ginger dressing keeps the cabbage and carrots alive with flavor while the quinoa and chicken fill me up.

10. Chicken Cucumber Pita Pocket

cucumber, zucchini
Abigail Wilkins

Sometimes, you don't have time to meal prep on Sundays, so at 6:30 on Monday morning, you need to throw together something quick to put in your lunch bag. This pita pocket is so simple, light and summer-y with a little bit of a Greek vibe. One bite and you will feel the flavors of summer that the cool cucumber and dill dressing deliver you. 

So I hope that you are inspired to pack your own lunches that will surely make all of your coworkers jealous of your amazing lunches.