Do you ever get tired of washing (and damaging) your hair with the same products every day? Before I chopped all of my hair off a few months ago, I loved experimenting with different products that would naturally improve the health and growth of my hair. I tried almost everything, so why not try eggs?

I tried avocado, honey and even olive oil. With the avocado, I could never seem to get all the little chunks out. Honey and olive oil were also problematic because they left my hair pretty greasy. But then I tried washing my hair with egg and I'd have to say the results were pretty eggcelent

The process

candy, egg
Amelia Hitchens

It's actually very simple. All you need is one egg.

Take the egg and whisk it thoroughly in a small bowl. I added a little bit of water to help break up the egg and make the application process easier.

#SpoonTip: Other options include adding lemon or lime juice, honey, any essential oils, aloe vera juice, alma powder, henna powder or apple cider vinegar, but I decided to stick to the basics.

omelet, yolk, fried egg, egg yolk, egg
Amelia Hitchens

Next is to apply the egg mix to your hair. You can either apply it to wet or dry hair, but I found better results when I applied it to wet hair. Massage the mix through your hair just like normal shampoo and then let it set for a few minutes while it moisturizes your hair.

Once you let it sit for a moment, rinse the egg completely out of your hair the way you would rinse out regular shampoo. You should already begin to feel the results as your hair begins to soak in the nutrients. 

wine, coffee, juice, tea
Amelia Hitchens

So how does it work?

sweet, milk, tea, candy, egg, coffee, chocolate
Amelia Hitchens

Honestly, eggs are pretty vital in everyday life because you can add them to almost anything. Egg serves as an amazing hair cleanser because it is high in protein. The protein in eggs helps to add texture and volume to even the most fine or oily hair. Eggs are full of vitamin A, D, E, B12, biotin, iodine, selenium, and pantothenic acid. All of these help for shiny and healthy hair. 

Using more natural products on your hair can have many benefits. Switching from shampoo to eggs will help your hair breathe and reach its full, healthy potential. So the next time you're at the grocery store, save yourself the trip to the hair products and just check out the eggs in produce. 

For more life hacks for improving your hair game, check out these seven foods for healthier hair