Happiness is critical in order for one to live a good life. One's interpretation of a good life can vary from person to person. While some are perfectly content with the little things, others may search for happiness in greater entities. Despite how we achieve happiness, it's important that we discover it in some form.

Unfortunately, life isn't always fair, and inevitably, bad things can happen to good people. Whether it's losing a loved one, going through a breakup or dealing with self-esteem issues, we go through times when we feel our happiness slowly disappearing. In my own experiences, this feeling scared me enough to realize that I had to do something. There comes a time when you must stop being a victim and take control of your happiness again. Here are some of my favorite ways to find happiness.

1. Keep a Journal

beer, tea, coffee
Olivia Salzman

I could go on and on for days about the benefits of journaling, for the sake of time, I'll keep it short. Journaling is an emotional connection between one's mind and body, and, paper and pen. A journal is a private, safe space, free of outside judgment. The act of journaling encourages self-growth and reflection. Personally, writing my feelings and daily experiences during tough times have helped me to grow stronger throughout my journey. There's nothing more rewarding than looking back at old entries and seeing how must progress you've made.

2. Find a Happy Place

Olivia Salzman

I'm a huge proponent of finding a happy place to seek out during tough times. We often find ourselves getting into a routine of staying in bed and wallowing in our sadness. However, it's important to end that cycle and find a place that makes you feel confident, happy, and empowered. Personally, SoulCycle is my happy place. Not to mention the incredible workout, SoulCycle has become a therapeutic space for me to surround myself with positivity, love, and ambition.

3. Read Self-Care Books

beer, coffee
Olivia Salzman

Another way to take control of your happiness is to read books about self-love and self-care. Reading is a perfect mental escape to clear your mind. After many recommendations, I purchased Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur. Milk and Honey is a book that is filled with a collection of poems about loving, hurting, breaking, and healing. Without exaggeration, I read it every single night. Thanks to this book, I have become inspired to overcome tough times and become a stronger woman.

4. Get Active

wine, water
Olivia Salzman

I will forever preach that working out is so beneficial not just for one's physical state, but for one's mental state. While working out, our bodies release endorphins which create a feeling of euphoria. This explains the "high" many feel while working out. While on a path to a happier and healthier life, it is so important to get out and be active. 

5. Surround Yourself with Uplifting People

beer, grass, tea
Olivia Salzman

It's true, the people you surround yourself with have a large impact on your feelings and actions. Cut unnecessary negativity from your life and encompass yourself with loving and positive people. 

6. Encourage Positive Self-Talk

I'd never understood how important self-talk was until recently. Cut the habit of speaking negatively. Rather than saying "I can't", tell yourself "I can." As cheesy as it sounds, your words have a meaningful impact on your happiness. Don't degrade yourself or your worth. 

7. Talk to Someone

pizza, tea, coffee, beer
Morgan Stewart

Seek help. Whether you go to therapy or confide in a close family member or friend, it's important to talk to someone. No one should be alone during a tough time. Taking the initiative to talk to someone and get better is a direct way to control your happiness.

8. Channel your Creativity

tea, cake
Olivia Salzman

During rough patches, it's so important to channel our emotions into productive and positive acts. I'm a strong believer in channeling your inner creativity, whether that may be through music, art, or photography. Personally, I'm not anywhere near the most artistic but I enjoy painting when I want to relax and free my mind of negativity.

9. Help Others

pizza, coffee
Lucy Carlisle

Helping others is one of the most simple yet special ways to take control of your happiness. Not only will you spread happiness to others, but you will feel good as a result of your kind actions. Go out, volunteer, and share happy vibes with others.

Whether you're going through a tough time or not, it's always constructive to do things that make you a happier and healthier person. Go on a hike, meet up with friends, or read a book at the beach. Whatever you do, find passions that enhance your quality of life because only you are in control of your happiness.