Here’s what’s up in the Spooniverse, according to our members.

How to Talk About Spoon and Your Contributor Experience

Tips on how to talk about Spoon to anyone you meet.

Spoon University is awesome, there’s no denying that. It connects thousands of people across the world who all work together to create amazing content. Sometimes, however, it can be difficult to articulate why exactly you love something.

Last year, when my best friend asked me why I love Spoon, I found myself stumbling: "Spoon is just, like, an amazing platform for me to umm, I guess be creative and write about what I love?”

Sure, that was an okay answer for a friend; after all, who are my friends to judge, you know? BUT it got me thinking about the fact that there are certain situations in which you should be able to talk about your *adoration* for Spoon eloquently and in a way that is easy to understand.

This post will walk you through those situations and give you all the tools to really sell your experience.

1. Defining What Spoon Is

cake, sweet, tea
Caitie Veech

Before you can even get started, you need to first be able to define what Spoon is—duh. Use the “About” section of Spoon’s site to guide you in creating a definition that works for you.

Everyone gets different things out of Spoon so feel free to highlight your favorite parts—just make sure you clarify that we are a college food and lifestyle website that aims to be the go-to food resource for our generation.

For example, my definition of Spoon is: "Spoon is a food resource that creates relatable and informative content for the college-aged generation. Spoon is also a community of food lovers who work together to write articles, make videos, take photos, create social media campaigns and plan food-related events on their campuses."

I personally love Spoon because it gives me an outlet to voice my opinion on important food issues and topics such as body image while also gaining experience writing timely articles on food news.

2. Know Your Audience

tea, coffee, beer
Betsy Kaplan

Not everyone you speak to about Spoon is the same, which is why it’s super important to know your audience when talking about Spoon because you want the person you are speaking with to really understand the value of Spoon in their own terms.

For example, if you are trying to solicit donations for an event from a local business owner, it might not be in your best interest to use tricky terms like SEO or talk about social media analytics in an overly complicated way. You should be able to get them interested in Spoon and help them understand how Spoon can benefit them in a way that is simple and plays into their interests.

Speaking with school administrators is a different story. They want to know how Spoon benefits your campus so when you talk to them, your focus should be on how Spoon adds value to your campus community. Talk about attendance at events or pageviews on local articles to help them realize what an incredible campus fixture you are.

Lastly, talking about Spoon during a job interview is a whole different can of worms. This is where talking about your knowledge of terms like metadata and SEO could come in handy.

The number one thing to remember here is to be able to back up your claims with specific evidence. Maybe Spoon taught you how to be a good leader, so give an example of a challenge you faced as a leader and how you overcame it. Or if you say you know how to pitch trending content, talk about an article you wrote that did particularly well and tell them how you came up with the idea.

Overall, the most important thing to remember when talking about Spoon is that Spoon is fun! It’s something you are passionate about. If you let the person you are speaking to see that true passion and joy that Spoon gives you, it really doesn’t matter if you stumble over a few words.