Spoon University Logo
sauvignon blanc
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine
Reviews

The 20 Best Sauvignon Blancs Under $20

New to wine, or looking to upgrade your wine game? sauvignon blanc is the ultimate crowd-pleaser when it comes to white wines, offering bold flavors and a rich finish. Whether you’re a seasoned wine connoisseur or just starting your wine journey, this classic white deserves a spot in your glass – and forget breaking the bank for a stellar bottle. But when it comes to sauvy b, how do you know where to start? 

What is sauvignon blanc?

Ultimately, sauvignon blanc is a type of grape. “Specifically, sauvignon blanc is a cultivated variety of grape, meaning, it was bred by humans opposed to being found in the wild,” says Tyler Balliet, a sommelier and author of Rebel School of Wine. “We don’t know who or exactly when sauvignon blanc came to be – it could easily have been by mistake – but it’s one of the older grapes.” In fact, the first mention of “sauvignon blanc” occurred in the Bordeaux region of France in the early 1700s, but references to earlier pseudonyms dating back to the 1500s suggest that it originated in the Loire Valley, according to Balliet.

What does sauvignon blanc taste like?

Sauvignon wines are light, crisp, and known for their bright acidity. “I look for a sauvignon blanc with mouthwatering acidity, vibrant fruit character and some vegetable notes,” Lucia Palm, a certified sommelier wine educator and content creator told Spoon University.  “I want it to entice me to take another sip.”

“Sauvignon blanc, like all wine varietals, taste different depending on where they’re grown, the winemaking techniques that were used, what the soil was like, what the climate is like, who’s making the wine, et cetera,” says Palm.

The climate of a region can especially impact the quality and flavor of grapes grown there. “When grown in cold or cool climates, the wine has more acidity; warmer climates produce more fruit flavors; and when the weather is too hot, the grape becomes flat and flabby,” Balliet says. “In France, it is light, bright with zippy flavors that resemble citrus fruit juice; while in California, a warmer climate, the wines are heavier and bolder but you still get that refreshing zippy acidity.”

Samantha Capaldi, a certified sommelier and owner of Samantha Sommelier LLC, looks for a sauvignon blanc that has a great balance between acidity, fruit, and minerality. “I lean more towards French sauvignon blancs like Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume because of their flavor profiles,” says Capaldi, who has found that these wines are crowd-pleasing in most settings.

All three somms agree that New Zealand sauvignon blancs might just reign supreme. “In New Zealand, sauvignon blanc has a very distinctive flavor. This wine assaults your taste buds with a striking, bright acidity, and every sip makes you want to drink more,” according to Balliet. “This wine has an incredibly distinctive flavor that no other region in the world can replicate.

What foods pair well with sauvignon blanc?

According to Balliet, sauvignon blanc “basically goes with everything.” His go-tos? Thai take out, any kind of fish (especially sushi), and fast food. “Because of the acidity, sauvignon blanc goes well with fried food, like fried chicken or french fries.”

Capaldi echoes the fast food sentiment: “I also have LOVED pairing my Taco Bell Crunchwrap supremes with Sauvy B with a lot of fire sauce,” says the Arizona-based sommelier. 

Both Capaldi and Palm recommend salty, crunchy snacks if you’re keeping it casual. Capaldi’s “go-to for my everyday couch wine and snack pairing is salt & vinegar potato chips,” while Palm opts for chips & guac.

Like Balliet, Palm also agrees that sauvignon goes great with sushi. “It’s really good with a California roll!”

Though sauvignon blanc may not be for everyone, there’s plenty of wines on this list with a variety of flavors, notes, aromas, and mouth-feels, from all over the globe.  “Just because you tried a wine and didn’t like it, don’t write off the varietal, try another from another country or producer, try as many as possible from all over the world,” recommends Palm. “You may be pleasantly surprised to find your new favorite varietal.”

1. Josh Cellars Sauvignon Blanc, $13.17
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

There’s a reason the internet is in love with Josh – the wine, that is. Josh Cellars sauvignon blanc is a deliciously refreshing sauvignon blanc offering bright citrus and tropical fruit, with hints of dried herbs and a crisp, juicy finish. Pair it with grilled fish for a light, summery meal.

2. Starborough Sauvignon Blanc, $11.07
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Starborough’s ipe tropical fruit accents and some herbal notes makes it one of Total Wine’s top-sellers. Starborough’s Sauvignon Blanc is a crisp, light-bodied, and refreshing white wine from New Zealand with flavors of passion fruit, kiwi and guava over a citrus background. 

3. Sauvignon de Seguin Bordeaux White, $6.99

Trader Joe’s may have healthy snacks, pumpkin treats, and easy meals on lock, but they also are crushing (pun intended) the wine game, too. Capaldi loves TJ’s  Sauvignon de Seguin Bordeaux, a refreshing and zesty sauvy b from France with notes of lemon and grapefruit, plus a touch of green herbs.

4. Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc, $13.17 (most recommended)
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Kim Crawford was the most recommended among friends and family when it came to budget-friendly sauvignon blancs,, and also came highly regarded by Balliet. This crisp, white wine from Marlborough, New Zealand is brimming with flavors of pineapple and stone fruit with a hint of herbaceousness on the palate, plus a fresh and zesty finish.

5. Bread & Butter Sauvignon Blanc, $12.97
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Bread & Butter sauvignon blanc is a crisp, refreshing white wine known for its bright citrus flavors and zesty acidity. B&B boasts aromas of lemon zest, grapefruit, and a hint of tropical fruit, and its palate is often characterized by a lively acidity, and a refreshing minerality. It pairs great with seafood!

6. Justin Sauvignon Blanc, $18.49
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

We just love the J-names. Justin’s sauvy b is a crisp, refreshing white wine known for its bright citrus flavors (including lemon, lime, and grapefruit) and herbaceous notes. It’s crafted from grapes grown in the Central Coast region of California, blending the best of various vineyard sites to create a balanced and complex white.

7. Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc, $17.07
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc is a classic Marlborough sauvignon blanc known for its bright, citrusy flavors and refreshing acidity. This New Zealand white wine typically offers a vibrant aroma of grapefruit, passionfruit, and tropical fruits, with hints of herbaceous notes such as cut grass.

8. Dry Creek Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, $18.99
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Dry Creek Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc is a classic California white wine known for its bright citrus flavors, herbaceous notes, and refreshing acidity. Sourced from vineyards in the Dry Creek Valley region, this medium-bodied wine pairs well with light appetizers, salads, and grilled seafood.

9. Charles Krug 2022 Napa Sauvignon Blanc, $19.99
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Sourced primarily from the St. Helena estate and hand-picked in the cool of night to ensure optimal grape quality, this elegant white wine features vibrant aromas of lemon blossom, guava, and verbena, along with hints of lime peel and ruby grapefruit. On the palate, it offers a refreshing blend of citrus and tropical fruit flavors, with a crisp acidity that provides a bright finish. 

10. Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc, $12.17
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Recognized as a leading New Zealand wine brand, Oyster Bay is synonymous with quality white wine. Balliet recommends this bright and fruity sauv (“which is sometimes available at gas stations!”) for its sweet flavors of tropical fruits like passionfruit, citrus, and a hint of gooseberry, all balanced by lively acidity and a clean, lingering finish.

11. Matua Sauvignon Blanc, $11.17
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Matua Sauvignon Blanc is a crisp and refreshing white wine with a bright citrus aroma and hints of tropical fruit. The palate is lively and balanced, with a clean finish that makes it perfect for enjoying on its own or paired with light seafood dishes.

12. Cupcake Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, $9.17
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Don’t knock it until you try it. Cupcake’s sauvignon blanc is a refreshing wine with a bright citrus aroma and a crisp, tangy flavor. A lively palate with notes of Meyer lemon, Key lime, and a touch of green herbs gives way to a clean and refreshing finish. Plus, its price tag is in the single digits.

13. Kirkland Signature Marlborough Ti Point Sauvignon Blanc 2023, $7.49

Both Palm and Capaldi both recommended Costco’s Kirkland Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, particularly for its accessibility – and crazy low price tag. “It has that signature freshly squeezed grapefruit, kaffir lime leaf and freshly mowed grass that I get from a good New Zealand sauvignon blanc,” says Palm. “This is the kind of wine you can easily just pop open with friends when you’re chilling outside, not thinking about it, and simply enjoy it.”

14. Xanadu Circa 77 Margaret River Sauvignon Semillon 2022, $19.99

Palm also recommends Xanadu Circa 77 from Margaret River, Australia. “It’s a cool climate sauv, so you’re going to get a fair amount of acidity with tropical fruit notes such as passion fruit, clementine, and lime,” says Palm. This sauvignon blanc is blended with the Sémillon grape, (which Balliet says is a “funkier” grape) which provides a pillowy texture.

15. Brancott Estate Flight Song sSauvignon Blanc, $12.99
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Capaldi recommends Brancott Estate’s sauvignon blanc, and the Flight Song wine is a great option for drinkers looking for a wine with a lower ABV. This crisp crisp and refreshing white wine from New Zealand offers vibrant aromas of citrus fruits, tropical notes, and a hint of grass. The palate is balanced with bright acidity and a clean, refreshing finish, making it a versatile pairing for various dishes.

16. McBride Sisters Collection New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, $16.99
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

The McBride Sisters Sauvignon Blanc 2022 is a refreshing white wine from Marlborough, New Zealand, and one of Capaldi’s recs. Known for its vibrant citrus and tropical fruit flavors, this wine offers a burst of juicy notes like passionfruit, mango, and green apple. The palate is balanced with a crisp acidity and a clean, refreshing finish that goes great with lighter proteins, such as seafood and grilled chicken.

17. Geyser Peak Sauvignon Blanc, $9.99
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

Capaldi recommends this refreshing white wine, which originates from California. Geyser Peak has a crisp and clean flavor with notes of pineapple, melon, peach, and apricot. The aromas follow through to the palate, balanced by refreshing acidity.

18. Trader Joe’s Sauvignon Republic Wine Co. New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, $7.99

You can’t beat the price for TJ’s 100% estate-grown sauvignon blanc, which is another Capaldi rec. A drinkable wine that’s aromatic and bright, Sauvignon Republic’s sauvy b features intense tropical notes of kiwi and tangy grapefruit, with lush layers of white peach, underscored by a clean, refreshing finish. The wine’s mouthwatering minerality and fresh herbaceous notes make it an elegant selection for spring and summertime celebrations, and it pairs especially well with green salads and crunchy crudites.

19. Olema Sauvignon Blanc Loire, 2023, $15.99
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

According to Balliet, the Loire Valley in France produces a ton of sauvignon blanc at a great price point. Olema’s elegant sauvignon blanc showcases the vibrant flavors and aromas characteristic of the region, including notes of lemon zest, green apple, and a hint of tropical fruit. Try pairing it with creamy cheeses or shellfish.

20. L’Etincelle Sancerre, 2022, $19.97
sauvignon blanc
Photo by Total Wine

“Sancerre is the region that produces the archetype for sauvignon blanc,” says Balliet. “It’s considered the gold standard so they are a little more expensive.” Luckily, one of Sam’s recommendations clocks in right at $20. L’Etincelle’s sauvignon blanc showcases the classic characteristics of Sancerre, with bright and crisp citrus notes (lemon and grapefruit), a touch of herbaceousness (grass and boxwood), and a refreshing mineral finish for a delicious and giftable white that’s budget-friendly.

Kennedy Dierks is a National Contributor at Spoon University, and chapter president of Spoon at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She covers all things food, and has a soft spot for pop-culture moments, product launches, and the occasional cocktail. Beyond Her Campus, Kennedy plans to pursue medicine and currently works as a medical assistant and clinical researcher. She has written for Teen Vogue, ABC News, and Girl’s Life Magazine, in addition to a number of academic and scholarly journals. She recently graduated from Seton Hall University, where she majored in Biology and Religious Studies while minoring in Art History. Kennedy is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree at Seton Hall’s college of Interprofessional Health Sciences. Kennedy is a Taylor Swift aficionado who is convinced that a New Jersey bagel makes everything better. In her free time, she can be found teaching spin classes at the gym, playing the guitar, designing art for her Redbubble shop, or roaming the aisles of Trader Joe’s looking for her new favorite product.