When I was a little girl, the most exciting part of any birthday party was the cake. I've been a lover of sweets my whole life, and the Funfetti cake was no exception. I loved how good the cake tasted, and the sprinkles of color in the cake just made it more fun to eat.

But as I got older and more health conscious, I realized how many unnecessary chemicals (what the heck is propylene glycol?) the box cake had in it. I wondered, "What are these chemicals doing to my body? Why am I putting them in my body? Is there more harm than good happening to my body when I eat this amazing food?"

My family was never a huge fan of the boxed cake, so I grew up in my home making cakes from scratch. It made sense to me to take my love of cake and combine it with my desire to be healthy. Here is a more natural and homemade recipe with just as much "fun" as any boxed cake.

Homemade Funfetti Cake

• 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.

flour, batter, milk, dough, dairy product, bread

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Mixture should be fine and sandy, with no large chunks of butter.

tea, cake

With the mixer on low, gradually blend in the flour mixture. Once all the flour has been added, the contents of the bowl should look very fine and evenly combined.

flour, dough, bread

In a large measuring cup, whisk together milk, eggs and vanilla extract.

dairy product, cream, milk, egg, white sauce

Pour into the flour mixture and mix on low speed until just incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium and beat for about 45 seconds, until the batter is very smooth and well-combined.

flour, cake, dough

Fold in the rainbow sprinkles using a spatula and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top of the cake with a few additional sprinkles, if desired.

cream, batter, bread, dairy product, sweet

Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake springs back when lightly pressed.

cake, birthday cake

And the finished product:

bread, pepper
Kyra Denish

Make sure you let your cake cool before icing it (Sweet tip: instead of icing it in a pan, try making these funfetti cake balls). Funfetti cake is such a tasty treat that can easily be made by you, not from a box. Baking the cake can also be a great experience for you to share with someone else who loves to bake. So start baking, and indulge your sweet tooth.