I am of the opinion that there is no occasion that doesn’t warrant cake. Birthdays? Obviously. Success on an exam? Bring on the cake. It’s a sunny day outside and you’re feeling happy? Why not a cake to celebrate? But, apparently, not everyone has the same unbounded love of the dessert that I do.

For those people, birthdays can be a *true* test. What do you make for the person with a disgust for the classic birthday dessert? I’m telling you, it’s one of life’s great challenges.

Well, you’re in luck. Here’s a recipe for the most critical of dessert eaters. I call it “a dessert to celebrate crazy people who don’t want to celebrate their birthday with traditional frosting covered perfection… like why are we friends anyway?” You can call it a twist on a birthday classic, or even more simply and self-defining, “sugar cookie mini cakes for any occasion.” Even the most dedicated of cake lovers will appreciate them too, I promise.

Sugar Cookie Mini Cakes

• Prep Time:3 hours (including chill time)
  • Cook Time:12 minutes
  • Total Time:3 hours 12 minutes
  • Servings:6 cookie cakes

• 3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cup confectioner's sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
Photo by Grace King

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium high until pale and fluffy, then add in egg and vanilla extract.

Reduce the speed to low and then gradually add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.

Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Cut out five increasing sizes of circles.

#SpoonTip: If you don’t have a bunch of variously sized round cookie cutters, cutting around the outline of bowls, cups, etc. works too.

Bake for approximately 12 minutes.

For the frosting, beat the butter, confectioner’s sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt with an electric mixer until soft and creamy.

To assemble the final product, stack up the circles, largest on bottom, with a thin layer of frosting between them and decorate with sprinkles. There ya have it! Easy as pie cookie towers.

Photo by Grace King