If there was a list of foods that I would never eat on a first date, sloppy joes would be right up there. It's hard to look fabulous with meat juice dripping down your chin. Still, every once in a while I get a serious craving for a good ol' sloppy joe. Being mostly vegan means that I've been experimenting with different meatless sloppy joes for a while now, but I think I've finally hit a winner with these lentil sloppy joes.

You don't have to be plant-based to enjoy lentils. With the BBQ sauce and Italian seasoning, these lentil sloppy joes are full of hearty flavor that even the biggest meat-lover can enjoy.

Lentil Sloppy Joes

• 1 cup cooked red lentils
  • 2 cups shredded carrot
  • 1 small finely chopped white onion
  • 2/3 cup BBQ sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 6 hamburger buns
  • Salt and pepper
vegetable
Jody Brimacombe

Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, mix together the finely chopped onion, shredded carrots, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.

vegetable, carrot, cabbage
    Jody Brimacombe

Line a small baking pan with tinfoil. Place the carrot mixture inside the lined pan, and completely cover with the tinfoil, leaving only a small pocket of air for the steam to escape through.

chicken, potato
    Jody Brimacombe

Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove. Open the tinfoil and stir in the BBQ sauce and lentils. Bake for another 10-15 minutes.

chicken, pork
    Jody Brimacombe

Divide the lentil mixture equally between six hamburger buns. Top the lentil sloppy joes with avocados, tomatoes, or whatever toppings you desire.

sandwich, hamburger, cheese, cheddar, bun, tomato, lettuce
    Jody Brimacombe

These lentil sloppy joes are packed with fiber and protein, which makes them an ideal choice for any vegans or vegetarians struggling to get all of their daily nutrients. Enjoy them with a bib, a few napkins, and a very large place mat.