You may or may not have seen the latest maybe-craze sweeping through social media: the cloud egg. Weird? Possibly. But if it becomes as standard as a poached egg on avo toast, you don't want to be the one left behind with no idea how to cloud your egg. 

Plain fried eggs and omelettes are nothing compared to a fluffy, light, whimsical cloud. Whipping the egg makes it expand, giving you an end product that fools you into thinking you're eating more. Plus, with so many food trends focused on rainbows and unicorns, clouds should really be right up there with the best.

What you'll need: An oven, pre-heated to 450 degrees, a pan (I used two to keep the bottom from burning) with baking sheet/parchment, a stand mixer, a spatula. 

chocolate, cake
Nicole Cohen

Cloud Egg

• 1 egg
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
milk, egg yolk, egg

Separate the egg yolk from the white. If you're going for an aesthetically pleasing final product, try to keep the yolk intact.

butter, egg
    Nicole Cohen

Put the egg white in the stand mixer and whisk for 5-6 minutes, until stiff peaks form.

egg
    Nicole Cohen

Form your puffy egg white into a whimsical, cloud-like shape, leaving a well in the center for the yolk to be placed into after the first bake. Make sure there is no place that drippage could occur.

cauliflower, mashed potatoes
    Nicole Cohen

Bake for 3-4 minutes, until the structure of the cloud seems more sturdy and the highest peaks are just starting to turn a light tan.

kettle, tea, espresso, coffee
    Nicole Cohen

Take the cloud out of the oven, add the yolk into the well, and pop your cloud back into the oven for another 2 minutes. The end product should be primarily white, with tan peaks.

fried egg, egg yolk, egg
    Nicole Cohen

Use a spatula to gently remove your cloud from the baking sheet and place it on its' end destination, whether this be a plate, a slice of toast, or another creation. Season to taste and enjoy!

egg
    Nicole Cohen