I grew up in Texas with a family who loves Mexican food and football more than anything. The perfect dish to help unite these two loves? A cheesy tamale casserole that will take you from the first touchdown to the last quarter of the game. Super Bowl 51 is coming to my hometown of Houston, Texas this year, and I'm thrilled for my favorite things to finally meet. The Super Bowl is football's biggest party, and since this year it needs to meet Texas-sized expectations, you can bet that these tamales will be making quite an appearance at my house.

This cheesy dish will keep people asking for more as they cheer on the New England Patriots, the Atlanta Falcons, or the brand-new commercials. Regardless of which team wins, you certainly will with these tamales on the table. 

Super Bowl-Winning Tamales

• 24 tamales - pork beef or chicken
  • 2 cans chili with/without beans
  • 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar shredded cheese

Prepare your ingredients and preheat your oven to 350°. Remove and discard the husk from each tamale and place into a 13x9 pan. Place tamales next to each other and be sure not to stack them, they cook better when side by side.

candy, pastry, cookie, sweet, bread
    Photo courtesy of Emily Doyle

Evenly distribute the two cans of chili across the top of the tamales.

beef, sweet, meat, sauce
    Photo courtesy of Emily Doyle

Spread the shredded cheese evenly across the tamales, on top of the beans.

vegetable
    Photo courtesy of Emily Doyle

Place tamales in the oven to bake for thirty minutes, or until they start to bubble.

meatloaf, chicken, casserole
    Photo courtesy of Emily Doyle

#SpoonTips:

1.  Drizzle queso, salsa, or guacamole on top of the tamales for even better flavor.

2. In addition to the queso, corn and beans complement this dish perfectly. 

3.  A refreshing margarita on the side will not disappoint–it's the perfect sidekick.

4. If, for unknown reasons, not all of the tamales have been eaten, refrigerate and enjoy them the next day.