I've been thinking a lot about homemade meals after spending my first month here at Sewanee. I especially think about the holidays since that will be the next time I get to go home. Holidays for me mean large family gatherings with endless questions about school, boys, and volleyball. But most importantly, the holidays are a time when I got to eat my grandmother's special macaroni and cheese. 

Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter I sat at the dinner table with four times too many portions of the holy grail, aka Mama's mac 'n cheese. Ever since I can remember, that macaroni and cheese was the most glorious food I have ever eaten, and there have been very few times when I have had better.

I never understood what it was that made my grandma's macaroni and cheese so darn good. Maybe it was the perfect amount of cheese mixed with an even creamier sauce that made my eyes water at the sight of it. Maybe it was the perfect crisp of the noodles that made my mouth melt. I never understood it until I watched the process of making it.
tea
Constance Connolly

I never watched my grandmother make the macaroni because she would bring it on a silver platter to every family event. It wasn't until my grandmother moved away and grew older that I finally began to watch my mom make the masterpiece.

I'll admit it took my mom a few times to get it right, but once she did it was perfection. Mama's macaroni and cheese turned into something more than just food, it was a reminder of my grandmother. It's a constant symbol of Mama and her love for food and family, and that's why I'm sharing this with you. I want to spread Mama's lovable macaroni and cheese recipe so everyone enjoy it. 

Mama's Macaroni and Cheese

• Total Time:1 hr

• 1 pound elbow macaroni
  • 1 can cream mushroom soup
  • 1 soup can full milk
  • 1 medium jar Cheez Wiz

Bring water to a boil. Pre-heat oven to 350°.

spatula, ladle, spork
    Constance Connollly

Cook macaroni for 7 minutes on medium/high. While cooking, mix Cheez Wiz, soup, and milk in a separate bowl. Microwave until cheese has melted.

macaroni, carbohydrate, pasta, wheat, spaghetti, penne
    Constance Connolly

When done cooking, drain macaroni and put into a casserole dish. Pour cheese mixture over the noodles and mix it up.

pasta, vegetable, soup, cream
    Constance Connolly

Cook in oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until slightly brown on top.

pasta, macaroni, cheese
    Constance Connolly

I hope Mama's special mac 'n cheese will bring you as much joy as it brings me.