Thanksgiving is approaching quickly, and I don’t know about you, but I’ve already started planning the menu. Since my family is from Tennessee, we of course have a few interesting Southern additions to our Turkey Day buffet. There are some dishes that change year to year, but one that never seems to leave the repertoire is corn pudding. Move over mashed potatoes and casserole, make way for this beauty.

For those who’ve had it, you know its greatness, but I’m sure those of you who haven’t are slightly perplexed by the fact that these two foods are even being used in the same sentence. This bright yellow concoction has enough butter and sugar to make Paula Deen proud, while also having vegetables in it (which makes it healthy, right?)

It’s ridiculously easy to make, vegetarian, and makes a great left over (as all Thanksgiving recipes should.)  This casserole dish, though as strange as it may sound, is a staple in my southern family’s Thanksgiving.

Easy

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes

Servings: 8

1 1/2 cans creamed corn
1/2 can whole kernel corn
4 eggs
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

*Feel free to double this recipe if you’re serving a large amount of people (or if your family is just full of hungry eaters like my family.)

1. Gather your ingredients, and preheat your oven to 325°F.

corn pudding

Photo by Meredith Simmons

2. Grease a two quart baking dish (cooking spray, margarine, or butter will work.)

3. Pour creamed corn, eggs, sugar, flour, and butter into the baking dish, and mix.

corn pudding

Photo by Meredith Simmons

4. Add whole kernel corn and mix thoroughly.

corn pudding

Photo by Meredith Simmons

5. Pop it in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Keep an eye on it, though; ovens vary and you don’t want this to burn.

corn pudding

Photo by Meredith Simmons

6. After 1 hour and 20 minutes, or once it’s light golden brown and has solidified, take it out of the oven.

corn pudding

Photo by Meredith Simmons

7. Let it cool at least until the butter has stopped bubbling, then enjoy ASAP (or wait until Turkey day- but only if you absolutely must.)

corn pudding

Photo by Meredith Simmons

Check out these other Thanksgiving side dishes: