Late drunken nights typically end with me falling into bed with an oversized box of pizza. There is no better time to eat greasy pizza than at 4 am, when all you want is cheesy comfort. Looking for a better way to end the night? Make my Smoky Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese instead. 

This twist on buffalo chicken dip turns your favorite dip into a satisfying late-night meal that tastes good at all hours of the day. 

Note: I used whole smoked chicken wings from Fat Head's Saloon (Pittsburgh, PA) in this recipe, but feel free to substitute with shredded rotisserie chicken or whatever else you have on hand. The bacon fat is also optional, but adds a ton of flavor and I highly recommend using it. 

Smoky Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese

• 2 slices bread about 1" thick
  • 2 tablespoon salted butter
  • 2 tablespoon solid bacon fat
  • 2 tablespoon ranch or bleu cheese dressing
  • 2 tablespoon hot sauce + cayenne pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup chicken shredded
  • 2-3 ounce thinly sliced or shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 2-3 ounce thinly sliced or shredded smoked gouda cheese
  • Sliced red onion optional
cheese, cheddar, bacon, peanut, chicken
Amy Le

Bring butter and bacon fat to room temperature. Mix in a small bowl until combined. Spread a generous amount onto the outside of each slice of bread and set aside.

cream, milk, dairy product, white sauce, sweet
    Amy Le

Mix the shredded chicken, hot sauce and ranch in a small bowl until combined. Not hot enough for you? Add a couple pinches of cayenne pepper to suit your taste.

cheese, poutine, bacon, cheddar, gravy
    Amy Le

Spread an even layer of the chicken mixture onto one slice of bread, buttered side down.

meat, poutine, sauce, pork
    Amy Le

Top the chicken mixture with cheese and slices of red onions (if using).

pork, cheese, sandwich, chicken, slaw
    Amy Le

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Place the grilled cheese (buttered side down) onto the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese begins to melt and the bread is nicely browned. Cover with a lid to help the cheese melt.

soup
    Amy Le

Place the second piece of bread on top of grilled cheese (buttered side up) and press down gently to stick the two pieces together. Flip the grilled cheese and continue cooking the other side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.

sandwich, toast, grilled cheese sandwich, cheese, bread
    Amy Le

Remove from heat and enjoy!

bread, grilled cheese sandwich, sandwich, cheese, toast, meat, cake
    Amy Le