I don't know about you guys, but I for one absolutely love fish tacos. Just ask my friends – that's just about the only thing I ever order at a Mexican restaurant. Don't get me wrong, I know there are a plethora of other dishes that I could try, but when it comes to Mexican food, I am relatively conservative in this respect.

While I am a fan of the fish tacos at Tacofino, as a self-proclaimed health-nut, I'm always on the lookout for a healthier alternative . Let me assure you that this recipe is healthy and delicious– I know, crazy right? 

Word of caution – these tacos are addictive, so don't be surprised if you end up eating more than you thought you could, or decide to go on a Taco-Cleanse.  

Fish Tacos With Cabbage Slaw

• 1 pound firm white fish such as tilapia mahi-mahi or cod
  • 2 medium limes halved
  • 1 small garlic clove finely chopped
  • 1 small head red or green cabbage
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 medium red onion diced
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 6-8 soft corn tortillas
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus more for the pan
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Guacamole optional
  • Lime wedges for serving
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 1

Place the fish in a tray and squeeze half a lime over it.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 2

Add the chopped garlic, cumin, chili powder and 1 tablespoon of oil.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 3

Season with salt and pepper and turn the fish in the marinade until evenly coated.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 4

Refrigerate the fish for 15-20 minutes.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 5

Add the cabbage, onions and cilantro into a bowl.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 6

Toss with the remaining half of 1 lime and 1 tablespoon of oil. Season with salt and pepper, add more if needed.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 7

Heat up a frying-pan or grill on medium heat, and add tortillas one at a time to warm both sides, about 4 minutes in total. Set aside.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 8

Lightly oil a pan and heat on medium-high heat until hot. Remove fish from tray and place in the pan.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 9

Cook both sides of the fish until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes for each side (don't worry if the fish breaks apart). Transfer the fish to a plate.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 10

To assemble each taco, break up some of the cooked fish and place it on the tortilla.
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

Step 11

Top with a large spoonful of coleslaw and squeeze lime if necessary. Serve and enjoy!
Julian Pang
Julian Pang

I promise you, these tacos are going to look Instagram-worthy, so start taking out those cameras and phones and get ready to take some pictures. Better yet, share it on Instagram with your local Spoon Chapter.