Breakfast and hot cocoa are two things that initially sound so wrong together, but oh, trust me, it is so right. It's not as far fetched as you might initially think. During the holiday season, you may want to consider making the switch from your regular cup of joe to this cup of festivities to start off your day.

On cold winter nights, nothing sounds sweeter or more soothing than bundling up all nice and cozy next to the toasty fireplace (or the heater, let's be real) and chillin' with a nice warm mug of rich, chocolatey hot cocoa. If that isn't your stereotypical favorite childhood memory during the holiday season then I don't know what is.

But what if I told you that you could make this childhood favorite hot treat into your new morning breakfast caffeine ritual? MINDBLOWING, I KNOW.

And the benefits don't stop just at nostalgia—there's even some health benefits for this toasty treat. From being jam packed with antioxidants and flavonoids, to fighting depression and cardiovascular disease, this childhood decadent drink can provide you that caffeine jolt to start off your mornings this winter season in a way that coffee just doesn't cut it.

Here's a simple recipe that'll add some festivities to your winter morning breakfast routines.

Breakfast Hot Cocoa

• 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1-2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 cup milk or milk alternative half-and-half creamer etc.
  • Pinch salt

Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan.

coffee, chocolate, espresso, cream, sweet
    Photo by Mikayla Baiocchi

Cook and stir over low to medium heat until warm. Do not bring to a boil.

coffee, espresso, chocolate, tea, milk, cappuccino
    Photo by Justin Shannin

Finish it off with whipped cream, marshmallows, or any of your favorite toppings!

cream, chocolate, milk, sweet, coffee, hot chocolate, whipped cream, candy, ice, goody
    Photo by Julia Muro

#SpoonHack: Try spicing up this classic recipe with your own DIY mix-ins! 

Get creative and transform this basic hot cocoa recipe with some simple upgrades. A dash of cinnamon, cayenne pepper, orange zest, pumpkin pie spice or even peppermint extract can bring this drink to a whole other level.  Here are some ideas to upgrade this cup of festivities.

So let us make a toast to the ultimate comeback tour of this delicious childhood drink. Raise your mugs and cheers, because 'tis the season— to replace your morning cup of coffee with this breakfast hot cocoa.