During one semester of college I took a vegetable gardening class, and I had an amazing professor who loved sharing vegetable puns with us. I dedicate this recipe article to her, in honor of her everlasting wit and upbeet humor. Let the beet puns begin (or you may have noticed they already have).

I’m not going to beet around the bush here. If you’ve been looking for a reason to try making homemade hummus, this unbeetable recipe is your chance. With just a few simple ingredients, you’ll have a bright and nutritious dish waiting to be devoured for lunch, as a snack, or for dinner. (You might even like it so much that you eat it for all three. Or at least that’s what I did).

Eating this hummus will make you feel like you're drowning in a sweet beet, its pulsating flavor enveloping you in a bold, zesty explosion. Even if you don’t think you’re a fan of beets, I encourage you to give this beet hummus recipe a go. Because let’s be honest—is there anything better than a good dip? Beets me!

Beet Hummus

• 1/2 pound beets about 4 medium-sized
  • 2 tablespoon tahini
  • 5 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 clove chopped garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • Generous pinch salt
  • Fresh ground pepper
herb, condiment, beet, vegetable
Leah Valenti

Chop off the beet greens and scrub the beets clean. Add to a pot and top with boiling water until beets are covered.

GIF by Leah Valenti

Simmer for 30 minutes. Drain and let cool.

GIF by Leah Valenti

Peel and chop the beets into chunks.

GIF by Leah Valenti

Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.

GIF by Leah Valenti

Enjoy and keep in your fridge for up to 3 days!

GIF by Leah Valenti