Making banana boats brings back memories of campfires with my girl scout troop. We would sit around the fire building and grilling our banana boats. They are a great alternative to s'mores, although just as easy to make. Since not everyone has access to a fire pit, I experimented with creating a banana boat recipe on the grill and the results were just as great.

I also love experimenting with different ingredients. While this recipe only calls for bananas, chocolate, and marshmallows, you're not limited to these. Some other tasty ingredients I have tried include nuts, coconut shavings, graham cracker crumbs, and peanut butter chips. This snack is wonderful because with a banana as your base, you can make it as healthy or as unhealthy as you want!

Banana Boats

• Banana
  • Mini chocolate chips
  • Mini marshmallows
cheese, chicken
Sami Hutchinson

Keeping the peel on, slice the banana lengthwise about halfway through. Do not cut through to the other side.

*Tip: make two small cuts off of the initial slice into the banana on each end. This will create a small "Y" shape on each end, which will help keep the banana boat open and make it easier to fill.

pasture, vegetable, banana
    Sami Hutchinson

Holding the banana boat open, fill it with a layer of chocolate chips. Then, add a layer of mini marshmallows and then add one more layer of mini chocolate chips.

#SpoonTip: Here is where you can be a bit creative and add the toppings of your choice.

cream, marshmallow, chocolate
    Sami Hutchinson

Carefully wrap the stuffed banana boat in tinfoil.

#SpoonTip: Keep the banana boat upright as much as possible so that the delicious ingredients inside don't spill out.

cannoli, banana, cream, chocolate
    Sami Hutchinson

Grill on low heat for 3 min on both sides. If using a fire pit, place close to the fire, but not directly in flames. Rotate for 3 min on each side.

ice, fish, barbecue
    Sami Hutchinson

Remove from the heat and let the banana boat cool for 10 min. Carefully open up the top of the tinfoil, keeping the banana boat inside. This will prevent you from making a mess by keeping the banana boat contained inside the tinfoil. Enjoy with a fork!

syrup, chocolate, waffle, cream
    Sami Hutchinson

This ooey gooey treat is a summer tradition that has been passed down for years, but the ingredients can easily be adjusted for people with different tastes. There are so many possible combinations that can elevate your banana boat to the next level, so experiment, create, and enjoy!