The summer heat has kicked in and everyone you know is outside barbecuing and sipping on something ice cold in the sunshine. Since recently going vegetarian, I began to wonder what I would eat at these events sure there is always a bomb potato salad, delicious slaw and a killer dessert on the table. I knew I was going to miss that charred, smoky flavor that a grilling outside brings to a dish. I quickly learned that grilling in the summer doesn’t just have to be just meat, veggies on the grill are just as delicious plain or marinaded.

I present to you a recipe that everyone can get behind, vegetarian or non-vegetarian, that is for all ability levels of cooking. The carnivore’s that take up permanent residence by the barbecue won’t even know what has hit them when they try this flavorful trio of sides.

Throwing ingredients in a bowl with a few spices never tasted and looked so damn good. This recipe uses 3 different marinades: one Asian inspired, one Italian inspired and one fajita flavored sauce just to blow your party out of the water.

3 Easy Veggie Summer Barbeque Marinades

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:25 minutes
  • Total Time:2 hours and 45 minutes (including marinade time)

• 1 zuchinni
  • 2 portobello mushrooms
  • 2 bell peppers
  • 1/2 chilli pepper
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 pinch cayenne chilli powder
  • 1 pinch paprika
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 pinch ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped basil leaves
  • Olive Oil
  • 2 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 pinch ground ginger
Photo by Abi Urquhart

Wash and Prepare your vegetables by cutting into evenly sized chunks.

Photo by Abi Urquhart

For the Italian Inspired Marinade:

Grab about a third of your veggies, place in a bowl and coat them liberally in olive oil. Then add the basil, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

Photo by Abi Urquhart

For the Asian Inspired Marinade:

Coat another third of the vegetables in olive oil in a medium sized bowl and add the mint, soy sauce, chilli, ginger, salt and pepper.

Photo by Abi Urquhart

For the Fajita Inspired Marinade:

Cover the last of your vegetables in olive oil and add the coriander, cumin, cayenne chilli, salt and pepper

Photo by Abi Urquhart

Cover the 3 bowls and marinade for no more than two hours in the fridge.

Heat up your grill and cover with olive oil. Add the veggies one marinade at a time, cleaning the grill after each bowl. Give the vegetables about 2 and a half minutes on each side.

#SpoonTip: Don’t flip your veggies constantly, this ensures you get sick grill marks on them.

Photo by Abi Urquhart

Garnish with any left over herbs or chili flakes, whatever takes your fancy.