The leaves are turning colors, the weather is getting colder, the flannel is coming out, and there are new fruits and vegetables in season.

One among them, is the spaghetti squash. Known as one of nature's greatest pasta substitutes, you’ve probably heard about it but never knew what to do with it. No worries, I've got you covered with these three easy spaghetti squash recipes.

Spaghetti Squash Basics

• Total Time:1 hr

• 1 spaghetti squash
vegetable, sweet, meat, pumpkin, bread
Brooklynn Morris and Haya Qureini

First things first, spaghetti squash is hard to cut. So zap it in the microwave for 2 minutes. This will help soften it up for you to cut into halves.

sweet, vegetable
    Brooklynn Morris and Haya Qurieri

Dig up the “gunk” like the seeds from the squash.

Brooklynn Morris and Haya Qurieri

Next, bake it in the oven for 45 minutes.

Using a fork, gently scrape off the edges of the squash and collect the noodles.

vegetable, cheese
    Brooklynn Morris and Haya Qurieri

Now, with your spaghetti there are a variety of things that you can do with it.

Traditional Spaghetti

sauce, tomato, pasta, spaghetti, vegetable, garlic
Haya Qureini

You can always make a traditional spaghetti dish and just add your favorite sauce on top and serve.

Mixed Veggies

vegetable, pasta, sauce, broccoli, meat
Haya Qureini

Or you can put some butter and vegetables on top and zap it in the microwave for one minute.

Lo Mein

chicken, pork
Haya Qureini

Or make your own lo mein.

However you like your noodles, spaghetti squash provides a great alternative to help you cut down on those carbohydrates. The texture is surprisingly similar, and you'll be pleasantly surprised by how much you can do with this healthy, in-season vegetable.