So I’m sure we’ve all had our fair share of ramen in some form or another, be it instant or those soaked in gloriously thick broths you find in restaurants. If you’re like me who goes for the latter, then rejoice, for there is a new ramen restaurant in Otown.

ramen

Photo courtesy of @sansoteiramen on Instagram

Sansotei Ramen just opened up an Ottawa branch along Bank Street. This is their fourth branch and the first outside the Greater Toronto Area. Sansotei has been ranked one of the best ramen restaurants in Toronto a few times and I don’t doubt it. When I was there at lunch time, there was actually a line.

It was packed inside too. With the restaurant’s max capacity at 30, the turnover rate is pretty high so you wouldn’t have to wait too long before you get a seat. Also, you might not want to stay there too long as it can get kind of humid inside.

ramen

Photo by Lui Xia Lee

This branch offers six options of pork ramen broth: Tonkotsu, Tonkotsu Black, Shio, Shoyu, Spicy Tantan and Tomato. I opted for the Tonkotsu Black. It features the pork bone broth with chashu (pork belly), black fungus, one whole egg, and scallions.

Other than the variety of broths, you have the option of choosing thick or thin noodles. I highly recommend the thick one because I feel that it gives your ramen broth the extra oomph that makes the meal more filling and hearty.

ramen

Photo by Lui Xia Lee

They also offer sides such as spicy slow cooked wings, gyoza, zangi (deep fried chicken), gyudon (beef bowl) and seaweed salad. I’m a big gyoza fan so I, of course, had to order it.

ramen

Photo by Lui Xia Lee

For dessert, they currently have two kinds of cheesecakematcha and tofu. I felt adventurous and tried the Tofu Cheesecake. Needless to say, I’m glad I chose the Tofu Cheesecake. The tofu flavour wasn’t entirely obvious but it was a good mix of cheese and tofu. I’d never expected such a mix to go so well. I definitely would order it again.

Overall, it was a good experience. Although it was a bit tight in there, the staff were quick and efficient and the food was great. I see myself coming here again to try out the other ramen flavours and side dishes.