Green smoothies are popping up on coffee shop menus and healthy meal plans. Celebrities swear by these concoctions to give them that *glow* and ward off unwanted pounds. Ever wonder what makes these blends so popular? Here are some health facts that might convince you to work these well-known (and some unknown) nutritious gems into your #meatlessmonday.

The Basics:

Spinach

spinach_2

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Spinach is a mild-tasting leafy green high in iron which helps with energy and a healthy dose of vitamin k which aids bone health. It’s a great way to start working them greens into a smoothie.

Chia

foods

Photo by Christin Urso

These tiny brown seeds have been around for a long time. Like, a really long time. A favorite of Incas and Mayans thanks to their high concentration of fiber, protein, and calcium. Chia seeds aren’t just for vegan pudding anymore.

Avocado

foods

Photo by Sarah Silbiger

This berry (that’s right, avocado is a berry) is high in potassium and folate which supports cell repair. Avocado also acts as a low-carb thickener in shakes, if you’re looking for a banana replacement in your fave green smoothie.

Kale

foods

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

It’s no wonder this superfood has been on health blogs and Juice Press menus for the last few years. Kale boasts 695 percent of your daily serving of vitamin A which is vital for a healthy immune system as well as a high concentrations of calcium and vitamin K. For a starter smoothie, try this recipe.

Oranges

foods

Photo by Jenny Georgieva

We all love OJ for its vitamin C content and intense citrus flavor. Adding this stuff gives great sweetness to any smoothie but is especially tasty in a orange-mango smoothie.

The Hot New Trends:

Cashews

foods

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Cashews are high in minerals like copper. Sounds weird, but copper helps produce collagen and elastin in the skin. Not so weird anymore, right? This summery refresher features buttery cashews and creamy coconut milk.

Beets

foods

Photo by Kate Zizmore

Beets have gotten a bad rap for being difficult to prepare but smoothies like this one make it easy. Simply cutting a few pieces of this root veggie will seriously boost nitrate levels which can increase energy.

Goji Berries

foods

Photo courtesy of 52kitchenadventures.com

Whether you think this stuff is a superfood or super hype, you can’t deny the free radical fighting properties of these little red berries. Adding these to a smoothie creates a tart/sweet combo that’s unique and a real antioxidant boost. Here’s an idea for incorporating them into your next smoothie creation.