Pizza. One of America's most genuinely loved foods, whether enjoyed late at night from your favorite takeout spot, or in a nice restaurant specializing in versatile pies. The U.S. is home to several different types of pizza across the states, with thousands of different joints covering the country. Here's a list of some of the best pizza you'll find in each state in America, so get your travel plans (and your tummy) ready, and bookmark this page for your next visit to each of these locations. 

Alabama: Post Office Pies

sauce, arugula, cheese, tomato, pizza
Photo courtesy of @postofficepies on Instagram

The joint, which, hence the name is housed in a historic post office, features wood-fired pizzas that pair excellently with a wide selection of local craft beers. Each pie is made from fresh ingredients, from the slab bacon on The Swine to the roasted cherry tomatoes on the Margherita. 

Alaska: Moose's Tooth

onion, chicken, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @kotaskoala on Instagram

Only in Alaska would you find a pizzeria joint with a cute name like Moose's Tooth. This well-known spot in Anchorage offers a plethora of gourmet pizzas including Meatball Parmesan, Southwestern Taco, Wild Mushroom, and Shrimp Fiesta, which features fresh, local seafood. The only problem you'll have at the Tooth is deciding which pizza to get. 

Arizona: Pomo Pizzeria

sauce, crust, mozzarella, pie, spinach, cheese, pizza
Photo courtesy @pomopizzeria on Instagram

Pomo's delivers handcrafted, authentic Neapolitan style pizza, starting with the dough, which is made from flour imported straight from Naples, Italy. Their fresh slices are made up of signature Italian flavors formed together in their hand-built wood ovens constructed from volcanic sands from the coastline of Italy. If you can't afford to fly to Italy to get yourself a slice of pizza, this is sure to be the next best thing. 

Arkansas: DeLuca's Pizzeria Napoletana

cheese, crust, tomato, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @themightyrib on Instagram

DeLuca's is home to authentic Napoletana brick oven pizza made with the finest ingredients they can get their hands on. Their classic Margherita pie is topped with fresh mozzarella, Parmigiana-Reggiano cheese, homemade tomato sauce, and fresh basil.

You can also add a variety of additional ingredients to any pie, including gourmet Calabrese pepperoni, homemade fennel Italian sausage, naturally grown portobello mushrooms, and hot cherry peppers from Texas. If you ever find yourself at this joint, I'd recommend just adding on everything for the full, delicious experience. 

California: Sliver 

vegetable, cheese, sauce, meat, tomato, pizza
Photo courtesy of @megsung on Instagram

Sliver delivers not only good ass pizza but a social mission to bring awareness to the issue of modern day slavery. Their restaurant brings together the diverse community of Berkeley, California over fresh and delicious pies that are loved by all. Every day they feature a different pizza, combining ingredients like fresh corn, roasted Yukon potatoes, Bulgarian feta cheese, and pesto that pack happiness in every bite. What's not to love?

Colorado: Beau Jo's 

pepperoni, bacon, pizza
Photo courtesy of @wonderpili on Instagram

Beau Jo's features true "Colorado style pizza", which yes, I guess is apparently a real thing. Their signature Colorado style pizza uses honey in the pizza dough, which is then braided and piled high with 1 to 5 pounds of sauce, cheese, and fresh toppings. They get their nickname "mountain pies" because they are indeed huge, not to mention very, very tasty. 

Connecticut: Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana 

meat, pie, mozzarella, dough, crust, sauce, cheese, pizza
Photo courtesy of @eastecoastfeastcoast on Instagram

Pepe's is somewhat of a legendary joint in Connecticut, claimed to be the "best pizza in America." It was started by a man named Frank Pepe in 1925, who originated the New Haven-style thin crust pizza which he baked in bread ovens fired by coke (a byproduct of coal, not the soda).

Pepe's signature is the White Clam Pizza, which features fresh clams from Rhode Island. Additional specialty pies include the Margherita, Quattro Formaggi, and Pepe's Original Tomato Pie, all fresh and made to order with the finest ingredients.

Delaware: The Wood Fired Pizza Shop

pepperoni, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @thewoodfiredpizzashop on Instagram

For some dank artisan pizza and craft beer in Delaware head to the Wood Fired Pizza Shop in Newark. They offer classic, specialty, and seasonal pies that can be made with gluten-free crust and/or vegan cheese upon request. The seasonal pies are topped with locally sourced ingredients like peppadews, duck bacon, and artichokes.

Their all-star pizzas include the Mama Mia!, Besto Pesto, and Fighting Blue Hen, which is buffalo sauce-based pizza with grilled marinated chicken, Gorgonzola cheese, and roasted garlic olive oil. At the Wood Fired Pizza Shop, variety is prominent and deliciousness is guaranteed. 

Florida: Cristino's Coal Oven Pizza

sauce, dough, tomato, pepperoni, basil, mozzarella, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @james_strange_eats on Instagram

You might not automatically think of pizza when you think of Florida, but you should definitely keep Cristino's in mind if you ever find yourself in Clearwater. Their pizzas are made in a coal oven (obviously) with homemade mozzarella and fresh basil. Their four cheese pizza is a mouthwatering combo of mozzarella, ricotta, goat cheese, and gorgonzola. Aka heaven.

After you munch down on a couple slices of pie, you're definitely gonna want to try out their award-winning homemade gelato for dessert. With great pizza and great gelato, what more do you need?

Georgia: That Pizza Place

salami, mozzarella, sauce, crust, pepperoni, pizza
Photo courtesy of @That Pizza Place II on Facebook

If you're looking for that pizza place with some dank pizza in Georgia, this joint is the place to go. Though small and tucked into the small town of Madison, That Pizza Place is praised by locals and outside visitors alike. Their menu is full of classic subs, wings, and pies that are sure to be a hit at any party or get together (or for a night in by yourself). 

Specialty pizzas include the Meat Deluxe, topped with five different types of meats, the Wonderful Wendy's Greek, a blend of mozzarella and feta with banana peppers, onions, and black olives, and The Tristan, which delivers a heated bite with Texas Pete sauce, jalapeños, spicy grilled chicken, pineapple, and "many, many spicy spices." Try out it for yourself, if you think you can handle it.

Hawaii: Big Kahuna's Pizza

pizza
Photo courtesy of @bigkahunaspizza on Instagram

Big Kahuna's boasts to be voted the best pizza in Hawaii on Yelp, so you best believe it's pretty dang good. Their ~tropical~ menu features pies loaded with traditional ingredients like kalua pork, Hawaii's kind of sausage (linguisa), and a variety of fresh vegetables.

The favorite on the menu is the da sumo special, which contains six different kinds of meats and claims to "brake da mouth". Also, don't miss their world famous garlic cheese balls, dough baked in butter and garlic then topped with their five cheeses. It's cheesy bread at a whole new, mouthwatering level.

Idaho: Flying Pie Pizzaria

ham, mushroom, sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, tomato, dough, cheese, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @flyingpiepizzaria on Instagram

At Flying Pie Pizzaria, the pizza might not be world famous, but they are whirled famous. Their pies are hand tossed high in the air then topped with traditional, semi-traditional, and non-traditional combinations. Nontraditional pies include the Acapulco Verde, which includes black bean sauce, sharp cheddar, fire-roasted tomatoes, and Chile-n-lime verde sauce.

They also serve a selection of pesto pizzas, including the Zambini, made with sourdough crust and topped with Italian sausage, whole milk mozzarella, provolone, jalapeños, and Roma tomatoes. The Flying Pie's welcoming environment and surprising pies will no doubt leave you with a smile on your face and a full tummy.

Illinois: Lou Malnati's

crust, meat, mozzarella, tomato, cheese, sauce, pepperoni, pizza
Photo courtesy of @moregarlicpls on Instagram

Deep dish pizza is iconic to Chicago, and Lou Malnati's has been dishing it out (haha) since the 1940's. Every pizza is handmade from scratch using a flaky, buttery crust that's been passed down for generations, so you know it has to be a pretty amazing recipe. Their world famous deep dish pies are overflowing with California vine-ripened tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, and the finest seasoned meats. You can't go to Chicago and not try it. 

Indiana: Bazbeux Pizza

mozzarella, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @thesartorialist on Instagram

Bazbeux is serving up some out-of-this-world pizza creations. Toppings range from black bean dip to Cajun shrimp to snow pea pods, in a variety of menu choices that will have you contemplating which pizza to get for hours. But no matter which you choose (or if you decide to create your own) it's sure to be a wonderful explosion of cheesy goodness in every bite. 

Iowa: A & A Pagliai's Pizza

tomato, sauce, dough, pepperoni, mozzarella, cheese, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @hopethismakesyouhungry on Instagram

Pagliai's has been dishing out pizzas since 1957, and their popularity has been growing ever since. The restaurant is a family-run business by Italian natives who've brought the fresh, authentic taste of Italian pizza to Iowa City. The award-winning pies are made with local ingredients in stone hearth ovens, delivering thin, crispy pies with bubbling cheese that'll give you satisfaction in every bite. 

Kansas: SPIN! Neapolitan Pizza

crust, dough, sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, pizza
Photo courtesy of @phamflexx on Instagram

This joint is spinning with delicious, fresh and handmade pies made with traditional Italian ingredients made in their stone ovens. They encourage customers to "spin" their own pizza with ingredients like caramelized onions, roasted portobello mushrooms, capers, Italian sausage, and fresh mozzarella. The menu also includes 20 specialty pizzas like the Sausage and Apple, Chicken and Pesto, and Shrimp Scampi.

Conclude your meal with some of SPIN!'s all-natural gelato, which delivers a dense, creamy texture that's the perfect following to a fresh, hot pie.  

Kentucky: Clifton's Pizza Company

steak, cheese, bacon, chicken, pizza, gravy
Photo courtesy of @rosycrucifixion on Instagram

At Clifton's you get dinner and a show. The acclaimed "Louisville-style" pizzas are served with live and local music playing in the background, providing a great, fun atmosphere to dine in. Additionally, all their pizzas are prepared individually with freshly made dough you can get either thin or thick, along with fresh, quality meats and veggies and a heaping helping of cheese.

Specialty pies include the 8 Cheese, Chicken Alfredo (wow), and Barbecue Chicken. Clifton's also prides themselves in their huge calzones that are stuffed with cheese, sauce, and your choice of six toppings. Ben Wyatt would surely be impressed

Louisiana: Pizza Delicious

lasagna, pepperoni, cheese, mozzarella, tomato, sauce, pizza
Photo courtesy of @kellyfields on Instagram

For the #1 pizza in New Orleans, head on down to Pizza Delicious for a delicious slice of pie and a brew or two. Every day they feature different toppings, including vegan Daiya cheese, house pickled jalapeños, peppadews, and Sriracha pineapple. It's fresh, New York-style pizza brought down to the Bayou.

Also don't miss out on the Pizzburger, a mash-up of two all-time classic favorites, pizza and cheeseburgers. It's two of Company Burger's delicious and cheesy burger patties smashed between bun-sized slices of Pizza Delicious' pies. It's a dream come true for all you pizza and burger lovers out there. 

Maine: Pizza By Alex

sausage, pepperoni, cheese, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @alexandriamonet on Instagram

Pizza By Alex, one of the largest pizza houses in New England, specializes in personal size Greek-style pizzas made daily using only choice ingredients. The joint has been in the Mantis family since 1960, satisfying local customers and tourists with excellent pizza and a homey atmosphere. Yaya's Greek pizza is a traditional favorite, topped with onions, feta cheese, and spinach. Go Greek or go home. 

Maryland: Pizza CS

pepperoni, crust, dough, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @thedomesticatedwolf on Instagram

This small hole-in-the-wall is busting out some seriously delicious pies. The pizza here is true Neapolitan style, produced by owners of learned Naples' pizza culture. Locals and visitors alike rave about the wide selection of 'zas, which are always topped with only the best, fresh ingredients. Choose from their selection of red or white pizzas (or just get both) or customize your own using anything from burrata to Calabrian chili peppers to pancetta, and more. 

Massachusetts: Area Four

chicken, pizza
Photo courtesy of @areafour on Instagram

Area Four boasts their commitment to "Real food. From the oven." that's always made from scratch from good quality ingredients. Their pizza dough is fermented for 30+ hours and topped with hand-pulled mozzarella, meaning they're committed to making a really pie. Creative pizza toppings include white anchovies, Wellfleet Cherrystone clams, and Char Siu pork belly. It's pizza like you've never seen before. 

Michigan: Licari's Sicilian Pizza Kitchen

pesto, crust, tomato, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @eatgr1 on Instagram

Licari's embodies the traditional home-cooked food reminiscent of the owner's Sicilian mother, earning it a spot on the Food Network in 2012. The pizza is always fresh and authentic and made with high-quality ingredients from family recipes. The Sfinciuni pizza is a traditional Sicilian pie made with a thick crust, sweet and rustic style tomato sauce, and chunks of aged cheese.

The "Schiacciata Pizze" is a stuffed pizza with a crispy crust on the top and bottom, filled with ingredients including rosemary-infused ham, housemade meatballs, creamy ricotta, and white truffle oil. Enjoy your fresh pies with a glass (or bottle) of wine and you'll be transcended into the wonderful land of Sicily. 

Minnesota: Pizzeria Lola

onion, pizza
Photo courtesy of @pizzerialola on Instagram

The pizza here at Pizzeria Lola has a serious wow factor (just look at that pic). This artisan pizza joint was started by a Korean immigrant who's revolutionizing the world of pizza. The menu is filled with some serious pies, including "Korean BBQ," made with short ribs, scallions, sesame & soy-chili vinaigrette, "The Sunnyside," a hearty combo of guanciale, pecorino, cream, leeks, eggs, and a crowd favorite, "Lady Zaza," with house-made kimchi, Korean sausage, serrano peppers, scallions, sesame and soy-chili glaze. This place MUST be experienced. 

Mississippi: TriBecca Allie Cafe

pizza
Photo courtesy of @otheplacesyoulleat on Instagram

For the second best pizza in the United States (voted 2010 in the American Pizza Championship), head to Tribecca Allie Cafe in Sardis, Mississippi. The brick-oven pizzas are made fresh with tasty ingredients combined to produce amazing pies that are sure to knock your socks off.

Their award winning pizza is the Magnolia Rosa, which is topped with red onion, mozzarella cheese, two additional cheeses, and Mississippi pecans. Additional pies include the Florentine, Polpette (Meatball), Bianca Verde and Patate (Potato). As the second best pizza place in the U.S., this one's one for the bucket list. 

Missouri: Pi Pizzeria

sauce, vegetable, meat, tomato
Photo courtesy of @pi_pizzerias on Instagram

Pi Pizzeria is most well known for their cornmeal crust pizza, both in deep dish and thin crust varieties. This makes for a satisfying crunchy pie providing happiness in each bite. Every day the menu lists the chef's favorite pizza picks, which could include anything from the Smashed Scallion, Eggplant Parm, Western Addition, or Cubano. Enjoy your pie with a carryout beer or wine, meaning yes, you can save your wine to go with the rest of your leftovers. 

Montana: Biga Pizza

sauce, cheese, chicken, pizza
Photo courtesy of @dashofsavory on Instagram

In the college town of Missoula, pizza is bound to be a big deal. So students flock to Biga Pizza to get their fix, which has been voted best pizza in Missoula in previous years, and featured in Saveur magazine. The pies are made in their brick oven, and range from the Sweet Potato, Bacon & Maple Chipotle, to Prosciutto and Fig, to the Flathead Cherry.

These, and the rest of their pies, feature an eclectic mix of fresh and local ingredients that join together on Biga Pizza's perfect base of cheese, dough, and sauce to make any drunk or sober college student happy. 

Nebraska: Noli's Pizzeria

cheese, pizza
Photo courtesy of @zvickers24

Noli's Pizzeria in Omaha gets their inspiration from the classic Italian slices found in New York City, sourcing local and seasonal ingredients as often as they can. However, they boast that their main source of pizza goodness is water, which they get from a local filtration company to produce both their artisan and traditional pies. 

Pizzas come by the slice or a 16" New York-style pie and include the DiManzo, topped with filet mignon and cream sauce, the Polpette, with meatballs and red onion, and the Liguriano, with pesto, sausage, olives, and goat cheese. The combination of these delicious, bountiful ingredients makes for stunning pies that are almost too good looking to eat. (Key word: almost. Eat the pizza). 

Nevada: Eclipse Pizza Co.

beer, pizza
Photo courtesy of @eclipsepizzacompany on Instagram

At the Eclipse Pizza Co. they're fond of rewarding outdoor activities such as running and cycling with a stellar pizza, which is a pretty great reward if you ask me. The joint features specialty pies made with a thin crust whole wheat dough blend, which include The Islander, Ironman, and Downieville. They also have a secret menu featuring stellar pizzas like The Lumberjack, with chicken, sausage, pepperoni, and ham; and The Luca$h Delight, with pesto, goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, sausage, and jalapeño.

Another twist Eclipse is taking on pizza is how they cut it. Go for the Metropolitan for a pizza that looks like a tic-tac-toe board; the Anarchy, which slashes pizza into random shapes and sizes; or The Ninja, in which the pizza is cut back and forth with a pizza cutting wheel. No matter which pie or cut you choose, you're bound to have a phenomenal pizza experience here at Eclipse. 

New Hampshire: Mountain Fire Pizza

pizza
Photo courtesy of @farmerkimberly on Instagram

Mountain Fire Pizza is a local, family owned restaurant busting out delicious wood-fired pizzas in a friendly atmosphere that's enjoyed by all. They got their start as a mobile wood-fired pizza business - how they mobilized a wood fire oven is beyond me - then established a permanent eatery in Gorham, New Hampshire.

Each pizza is made to order with a gourmet, blonde New York-style dough, topped with fresh and local ingredients. The 1,000 degree oven adds a smoky flavor to the pies, which include maple and bacon, BBQ chicken, and Hawaiian luau. As a nationally recognized pizza heaven, this joint should definitely be on your bucket list. 

New Jersey: Arturo's Osteria & Pizzeria

mozzarella, pepperoni, pizza
Photo courtesy of @btparsons on Instagram

Because of New Jersey's great passion for good pizza, it was hard to find the place with the BEST slice, but Arturo's Osteria & Pizzeria is definitely high on the list. They believe in their responsibility to encourage the growth of local food systems, so they use fresh, local ingredients from nearby farms to top off their pies with.

They also are quite fond of science and art, using both to curate a perfect pizza crust that's crispy and caramelized on the outside, and light and fluffy on the inside. With this combo of fresh toppings and expert dough, you're sure to get a delightfully delicious slice of pizza every time. 

New Mexico: Richie B's Pizza

vegetable, pepperoni, mozzarella, cheese, sauce, crust, tomato, pizza
Photo courtesy of @kristy.trujillo4 on Instagram

Richie B's is home to authentic New York Italian-style pizzas where slices are bigger than your head. The menu offers traditional, hand-tossed pies with fresh ingredients like pineapple, pickled jalapeños, green chilies, cherry peppers, and Italian sausage. Their special is The Cattlemen, which is a hefty pizza topped with top sirloin sautéed with mushrooms, onions, peppers, and garlic. Don't be intimidated by their size, I have total faith you'll be able to smash a whole pizza slice, and maybe even have some room for dessert. 

New York:  Di Fara Pizza 

cheese, dough, mushroom, tomato, mozzarella, sauce, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @mannakins6 on Instagram

Ah, New York pizza. Thin, delicate, and super cheesy, it's practically an icon of America. There are TONS of great pizza joints in New York, but by the popular opinion of our Spoon contributors (and the internet), Di Fara Pizza takes the cake for the best.

This restaurant, which has been open since 1964, is widely regarded as one of the best pizzerias in New York City by several popular publications. All pizzas are handcrafted by the owner, who emigrated from Italy and gets ingredients imported from there to top his to-die-for pies with. You're definitely going to want to visit this favored joint to see what all the hype is about. 

North Carolina: Pizzeria Mercato

mozzarella, crust, pepperoni, pizza
Photo courtesy of @pizzeriamercatonc on Instagram

As a North Carolinian myself, I'm quite fond of our selection of delicious restaurants and eateries, however, I've never been to Pizzeria Mercato, so my biased opinions will be left out of this one. Pizzeria Mercato prides themselves in joining Italy with the South, offering a seasonal menu of pies with ingredients from the Carrboro Farmers Market. The Neapolitan-style pizzas are made in their brick ovens, which are topped with heaps of fresh vegetables (or meat if you prefer).

Along with magnificent pizza, they also supply gelato, affogato, cannolis, and other fresh Italian desserts. This joint might just be the closest to Italy you can get here in the states, so a visit is definitely necessary if you ever find yourself in the area. 

North Dakota: Fireflour Pizzeria & Coffee Bar

pizza
Photo courtesy of @jlspottedbear on Instagram

This joint has outdone themselves in joining together two of the best creations known to man: pizza and coffee. They offer both white and red Neapolitan-style pies made in their 2 1/2 ton wood-fired oven at 900 degrees. At Fireflour they're huge proponents of high-quality ingredients, including their fresh mozzarella which they get hand-stretched from Wisconsin, and their house made fennel sausage from Berkshire breed pork. 

Enjoy an artisan pie with a fresh coffee or espresso drink from Fireflour's in-house coffee bar, which is sourced from Dogwood Coffee in Minneapolis. They offer eclectic drinks that you won't be able to find at your local Starbucks, including affogato, which is ice cream drowned with espresso or coffee, a perfect pick-me-up after a pizza-filled food coma.

Ohio: Harvest Pizzeria

mozzarella, dough, sauce, cheese, crust, onion, chicken, pizza
Photo courtesy of @harvestpizzeria on Instagram

At Harvest Pizzeria, they boast that local tastes better, sourcing their produce, dairy, and meats from various partners around Ohio. So you know it's fresh AF. They combine these local ingredients atop housemade pizzas, including the Ohio Double Bacon, Monaco, and Spicy Yuma. While many ingredients you've probably never heard of, or wouldn't think to put on a pizza, you're sure to grow to love them after tasting any of their superiorly delicious pies. 

Oklahoma: Empire Slice House

dough, cheese, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @hannah.z.wang on Instagram

This isn't your average pizza joint. Empire Slice House is a hip hangout spot offering "rad jams" and stellar pizza till late in the night, making it a great place to enjoy good food, music, and friends.

Their menu features whole pies or slices with cool names like the Notorious P.I.G., which is topped with bacon, pepperoni, sausage, capicola, and Canadian bacon; Doug E. Fresh, a white pizza with mozzarella, ricotta, parmesan, asiago, and roasted garlic; and Figgy Stardust, made with basil pesto, mozzarella, figs, chicken, and prosciutto. With pizza, drinks, and dancing, it's impossible not to have a good time here.  

Oregon: Oregon Wood Fired Pizza

spinach, pizza
Photo courtesy of @oregonwoodfiredpizza on Instagram

Oregon Wood Fired Pizza operates out of a small, family owned pizza cart that serves up handmade pies weekly. You can find them at breweries and different special events around the town of Eugene, or at Oakshire Brewery on Tuesday through Friday nights. Their pizzas feature fresh ingredients like artichokes, Italian fennel sausage, blue cheese, basil, and much more. You're gonna want to keep an eye on the whereabouts of this place. 

Pennsylvania: Maroni's Pizza House 

chicken, pizza
Photo courtesy of @jcaviston on Instagram

Is this the pizza enjoyed by our favorite employees of The Office? Maybe. Located in Scranton, Pennsylvania, Maroni's Pizza House is a family owned and operated business whipping out pies to its loyal customers since 1982. They serve both round and square pizzas made with a thick crust and topped with your choice of a mix of classic toppings like mushrooms, sausage, pepperoni, and black olives. Now the only question is whether pizza tastes better in rectangular form. 

Rhode Island: Al Forno

mozzarella, pepperoni, pizza
Photo courtesy of @rreed915

This upscale pizza spot in Providence is credited with inventing the grilled pizza. The resulting pies are thin and crispy, and topped with fine, fresh ingredients like fried calamari, pomodoro, and pine nuts. Al Forno also offers an extensive selection of wood-grilled steaks, pork chops, and other meat dishes. For a high-quality meal reminiscent of traditional Italian fare, Al Forno's is the place to go.

South Carolina: EVO Pizza

sausage, crust, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @thefoodassistant on Instagram

Charleston is home to a lot of great things, and that includes EVO Pizza. They cook their pies in a wood fired oven that gives the crust a perfect crispness and melts the cheese justttt right to make every bite an experience. Their menu features inventive pizzas like Pistachio Pesto, Calabrese and Squash, and Sausage and Fresno, which incorporate both local and regional ingredients. 

After you devour your pizza, head next door to EVO Bakery, for some handcrafted bread and pastries that are so magnificent you won't be able to save them for long. 

South Dakota: Dough Trader Pizza Company

mozzarella, sauce, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @beth__bremer on Instagram

The Dough Trader Pizza Company is a quaint, homey spot in Spearfish, South Dakota, specializing in sourdough crust pizza. Signature pies include The Sting, a spicy pizza topped with pepperoni, black olives, red onion, and jalapeños; Scarborough Fair, with fennel-infused sausage, red bell peppers, mushrooms, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme; and Dances With Goats, which is made with an Alfredo sauce and topped with artichoke hearts, grilled chicken, red onions, sweet corn, Roma tomatoes, and feta cheese. While their names are a bit obscure, all of Dough Trader's sophisticated pizzas are sure to impress.  

Tennessee: Five Points Pizza

crust, mozzarella, tomato, pizza
Photo courtesy of @fivepointspizza on Instagram

When in Nashville, Five Points Pizza is the place to go. Located in the Historic District, this hip walk-up pizza window has won countless awards for their pies, including the Best Pizza of Nashville award for four years running. Their New York style pizzas are made from scratch every day and topped with a fresh mix of ingredients like spicy capicola, arugula, meatballs, artichokes, and prosciutto.

Also get an order of their famous garlic knots, which are soaked in olive oil, garlic, and parmesan, making your mouth water with every single delectable bite. 

Texas: Big Lou's Pizza

sauce, dough, mozzarella, pepperoni, crust, pizza
Photo courtesy of @biglouspizza on Instagram

They say everything is bigger in Texas, and at Big Lou's that's not an understatement. They're home to award-winning pizzas in San Antonio, which range in size from 10 inches, all the way up to 42 inches. Now that's a lot of pizza. The pies include traditional toppings like pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, and peppers, and can be made with red sauce, white sauce, or Big Lou's homemade BBQ sauce. Pair your pizza with their baked wings, and you've got yourself a party. 

Utah: The Pie Pizzeria

tomato, pizza
Photo courtesy of @skubiak91 on Instagram 

The Pie Pizzeria is referred to as one of the "best-hidden secrets in Salt Lake City." Its location by the University of Utah attracts countless students, professors, and other locals with its smell of freshly baked dough flowing out of its basement setting. The menu offers plenty of delicious and reasonably priced items that are just perfect for us hungry college students on a budget.

Some of their creative pies include The Wise Guy Pie, which is layered with whipped cream cheese, fresh spinach, artichokes, chicken, and a balsamic reduction; and the Chicken Ranch, which comes with their special garlic ranch sauce topped with oven roasted chicken, bacon, tomatoes, onions, and sharp cheddar cheese. If local restaurants are a deciding factor for your choice of college, this one should be near the top of your list. 

Vermont: Pizzeria Verità

pizza
Photo courtesy of @pizzeriaverita on Instagram

Pizzeria Verità is a chic restaurant and bar that serves up classic Italian dishes and Neapolitan pizza baked in their 900 degree wood-fired oven, along with cocktails crafted from Vermont and Italian spirits. (Pizza and alcohol? I'm down.) Their pies incorporate traditional Italian-inspired ingredients like fior di latte (buffalo milk mozzarella), prosciutto di parma, fig preserves, béchamel, and spicy soppressata. Make sure to brush up on your Italian so you can fully understand all the exquisite items on their menu. 

Virginia: Pupatella

crust, tomato, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @klink425 on Instagram

In 2016, Pupatella was voted the best pizza in Virginia by MSN. They serve up traditional Neapolitan-style pizza prepared with authentic Italian ingredients like prosciutto, buffalo mozzarella, kalamata olives, and basil, to name just a few. The owner was born and raised in Italy, so obviously he knows how to make a pretty good pie, only uses ingredients imported from Naples to make his Margherita pizza.

Additionally, all the pies are prepared in a wood-fired oven shipped from Naples, which is built from bricks made out of volcanic ash from Mount Vesuvius. You're not going to find anything more authentic than if you go to Italy itself. 

Washington: Delancey

pepperoni, sauce, tomato, dough, mozzarella, spinach, pizza
Photo courtesy of @dchaussee on Instagram

Seattle, Washington is home to various trendy food spots, including Delancey, a hip pizza joint known for its wood-fired pizza inspired by the pies of New York and New Jersey. They source a majority their ingredients from local and sustainable producers, from the flour in their pizza dough to the fresh veggies and meats that make their pies all that you've ever wished for. Pair your pizza with a glass of wine (or a bottle) for the perfect night out. 

West Virginia: Mountain State Brewing Co.

pepperoni, crust, prosciutto, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @agirlinfoodland on Instagram

Mountain State Brewing Co. offers one of the best pairings known to man: pizza and beer. They're one of West Virginia's oldest microbreweries and taprooms, providing seasonal cans and year-round favorites that are hand-crafted in their establishment. Your visit won't be complete without one of their artisan flatbread pizzas cooked on a soapstone hearth in their hand-built wood-fired oven.

Pies include Lemon Pepper Chicken, Pesto & Prosciutto, The Cuban, and Fire On the Mountain, a spicy pizza with sausage, pepperoni, pepper rings, onions, and spicy chipotle. While you can't go wrong with any beer or pizza, know the right pairings in order to best impress your taste buds. 

Wisconsin: Pizza Bruta

garlic, cheese, mozzarella, crust, spinach, pizza
Photo courtesy of @aaliving on Instagram

Wisconsin is home to some of the best cheese in the U.S., providing the perfect base for some dank pizza. At Pizza Bruta they serve up wood-fired Neapolitan pizzas made with fresh Wisconsin curd.

Their menu features pizzas with red sauce or an olive oil base. Red sauce-based pizzas include the Arrosto, which is topped with an assortment of wood-fired vegetables; the Carbonara, with red pepper flakes, Nueske's smoked bacon, red onion, and parmesan; and the Lombardo, topped with basil, garlic, ham, sundried tomatoes, and gorgonzola. With all the wonderfully-topped pizzas at Pizza Bruta you know this place has gotta be fresh to death. 

Wyoming: Pinky G's

chicken, pizza
Photo courtesy of @shirleyzhangq on Instagram

Pinky G's has been voted Jackson's best pizzeria by locals since 2011, and in 2014 they appeared on Diners, Drive-In's & Dives. If Guy loves their pizza I'm sure you will too. Their menu features an array of unconventional, yet surprisingly delicious, pies, including the BBQ Porky G'ZA, which has a tangy BBQ sauce base and is topped with Kurobuta pulled pork and red and green peppers; as well as The Froman, Godzilla, and Funky Chicken. The names are enough to catch your attention, but you'll definitely have to try them to see what they're all about.  

Washington, DC: 2Amy's

spinach, mozzarella, pizza
Photo courtesy of @isabelllekim on Instagram

2Amy's is the first pizzeria in D.C. that serves certified authentic Neapolitan pizza, using only permitted ingredients to make the dough, sauce, and mozzarella. Their certified pies, including the traditional Margherita, contain only tomato, basil, mozzarella, garlic, and oregano.

However, they have other pizzas, including a stuffed variety with ricotta cheese (yes please) that contain additional fresh ingredients like salami, capers, rapini, anchovy, and eggplant confit. Pair your pizza with one of 2Amy's Southern Italian wines or their personal wines on tap, made by one of California's most talented winemakers. Buon appetito!