As we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Being the first meal that enters our bodies, it is essential that we have a nutrient-dense breakfast that will fuel us for the day ahead. However, not everyone has time to make a sit-down breakfast.

Sometimes we need something quick to run out of the door with. That's why smoothies are the perfect on-the-go breakfast option. Little do many know, smoothies can be packed with sugar. Much of the high sugar content can come from added sugars in juices and excess fruit. No worries, though. I've gathered my favorite low-sugar smoothies to share with you.

1. Cacao Coffee Smoothie

cream, coffee, milkshake, banana, smoothie, milk
Natalie Beam

Kill two birds with one stone with this delicious, caffeinated breakfast smoothie. Not only is this smoothie relatively low in sugar, but the oats will leave you feeling full until lunch. For an even healthier option, use a plain cold brew iced coffee rather than a sugary, creamy iced coffee.

#SpoonTip: Swap the maple syrup for a sugar-free option to keep the sweet taste but to kick the added sugar.

2. Green Smoothie

juice, sweet, smoothie
Christin Urso

Another great low-sugar smoothie option is the classic green smoothie. Green smoothies are packed with antioxidants and vitamins and are the perfect way to sneak in your daily serving of greens. For a low-sugar liquid base, use unsweetened almond milk or water. Both make for a delicious smoothie without added sugar. It's important to choose your fruits wisely. Some fruits, such as pineapple, are extremely high in sugar. With this in mind, make sure to look at the serving for frozen fruit to make sure you are not consuming a sugary smoothie.

3. Peanut Butter & Banana Smoothie

sweet, dairy product
Meg Brownley

As a girl with a huge sweet tooth, I often gravitate towards smoothies such as this peanut butter & banana one. With only three ingredients, you can easily control how much sugar is going into your smoothie. While the recipe calls for three bananas, I'd recommend one to one and a half. Bananas are a healthy fruit, but the carbohydrates and sugars can add up fast. Another alternative (if you're really watching your sugar intake) is to swap peanut butter with PB2. PB2 essentially has the same peanut butter taste but with significantly less calories and sugar.

4. Orange & Ginger Smoothie

cocktail, juice, sweet
Emily Marshall

This is the perfect smoothie if you're feeling a bit under the weather and need a nutritious pick-me-up. The ingredients in this smoothie are low in sugar, with many health benefits. Oranges contain vitamin C, which protects and builds up the immune system. Ginger is also extremely beneficial for aiding in proper digestion. If you didn't know, cinnamon is also one of the best spices for lowering sugar. Not only does cinnamon lower blood sugar, but it reduces heart disease. With this low-sugar and nutrient-dense smoothie, you'll be energized and out the door in no time.

5. Spinach, Avocado & Mango Smoothie

vegetable
Kirby Barth

This simple yet sweet smoothie is a great low-sugar breakfast option when you're running out the door. Adding avocado in smoothies is an easy way to get in your healthy fats and stay full longer. The mango will give your smoothie the perfect amount of sweetness without any added sugar. 

6. Mango Basil Smoothie

juice, mint, spinach, herb, vegetable, basil
Carolyn Hsieh

This tropical and flavorful smoothie will leave your taste buds extremely satisfied. The combination of sweet mango and zesty basil creates a refreshing smoothie with a kick. However, mango is one of those fruits that can be sugary, so make sure to watch the serving size. With the cinnamon and unsweetened almond milk, this smoothie is low in sugar.

7. Berry Green Smoothie

berry, yogurt, smoothie, blueberry
Jessica Farber

The combination of fiber-rich berries and antioxidant-dense greens creates a delicious, low-sugar breakfast smoothie. Berries are a relatively low-sugar fruit with many nutritional benefits. The chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and create a filling breakfast smoothie.

8. Fruit & Yogurt Smoothie

ice, berry, cream, yogurt, sweet, milk, juice, smoothie, strawberry
Katherine Baker

Adding yogurt to a breakfast smoothie is a great way to get a thicker, milkshake-like consistency and will keep you full all morning. I love using plain greek yogurt in my smoothies because it's relatively low in sugar and extremely high in protein. Combining berries, unsweetened almond milk, and yogurt makes for a delicious breakfast smoothie.

9. Apple-Peanut Butter Smoothie

juice, yogurt, smoothie, dairy product, cream, sweet, milk
Jocelyn Liu

Apples and peanut butter are a classic. So why not turn your snack into a smoothie? This apple-peanut butter smoothie is low in sugar, as the only fruit used is an apple. Again, feel free to use PB2 rather than peanut butter if you're looking for a healthier option. The flavors in this smoothie will bring you back to the good ol' days.

10. Chocolate Blueberry Smoothie

tea, mocha, espresso, cappuccino, sweet, chocolate, milk, cream, coffee
Scott Harrington

Personally, this is one of my all time favorite smoothies. The combination of chocolate and blueberries creates a rich and sweet smoothie that will make you feel like you're having dessert for breakfast. 

With these low-sugar smoothies, you'll never have an excuse to skip breakfast again. There are so many ways to cut added sugar and create endless low-sugar smoothies to get your morning started on the right note.