By the end of February, we’re all tired of seeing the same fruits over and over again. Sure, apples, pears, and citrus fruits are all delicious, but after several months of nothing but them, we could all use some variety.

Luckily, even if a fruit isn’t in season, you can probably find it in your local frozen fruit aisle (Whole Foods has a particularly wide selection).

Now that we can finally see the end of the long, dark tunnel that is winter, it’s time to bring back those summertime flavors in the form of this delicious mango basil smoothie.

Mango is a great addition to a smoothie because of its high levels of vitamin C, something a lot of people don’t get enough of in the colder months. Plus, mango is known for helping invigorate your skin and kick start your metabolism — all important things as we get ready for beach season.

Along with this smoothie’s sweet tropical flavor from the mango, basil adds an exciting twist. It may sound strange as a smoothie ingredient at first, but we promise that it’s good for more than just the garnish on a Caprese salad. It also makes your smoothie a stunning shade of green — so you look super healthy to everyone that’s eyeing you with their plain cup of coffee in hand.

This smoothie is super easy to adjust to your personal preferences. Want it sweeter? Just add some more maple syrup. Don’t like that much basil? No problem, just cut back on the leaves. One of the reasons smoothies are so great is that you rarely have to follow a recipe step-by-step (or at all!) to create a delicious concoction.

So sit back at your desk, put on some sunglasses, and pretend spring has really arrived with this mango basil smoothie in your hand.

Mango Basil Smoothie

• Prep Time:0 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:5 minutes

• 1 cup frozen mango chunks
  • 1/2 frozen banana
  • 7-9 leaves of basil
  • 1 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup/agave
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Add frozen mango and banana to your blender.

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Add in basil leaves.

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Pour in non-dairy milk, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in the amounts specified or until frozen fruit and basil leaves are completely covered.

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Add cinnamon if desired.

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Blend until smooth and creamy.

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh

Pour into a fancy glass, garnish with some basil, and enjoy!

Photo by Carolyn Hsieh