Do you eat enough probiotics? Do you even know what probiotics are? Probiotics are live bacteria that we consume regularly. It may sound gross, however, probiotics are actually very beneficial to our health. They are the "good" bacteria that help our digestive system stay healthy and it is super important to consume them so that the good bacteria in our digestive system balance out the bad bacteria. According to some sources, there are about 100 trillion microorganisms in any healthy bowel. Probiotics can even help people who are lactose intolerant digest better! 

One of the most popular foods that contain probiotics is yogurt, but if you don't eat yogurt, or are lactose intolerant, there are plenty of other sources of these beneficial bacteria, and we've got the breakdown.

1. Kombucha 

beer, juice
Alex Frank

One of my personal favorites is Kombucha. This is actually a fermented tea that is super high in the healthy probiotics that we need. According to this source, Kombucha has been used for centuries to increase energy. You can find it in most grocery stores, as it is become popular across the United States.

2. Pickles

sweet, vegetable
Christin Urso

When I found out pickles were high in probiotics, I was very excited. I mean, not only are pickles great to snack on, but now I know they have probiotic benefit—score! They are a good source of probiotics because of the fermentation process that they go through AND they are also low in calories (so a win-win). You can even make your own pickles.

3. Miso

cream, miso soup, vegetable, broth, soup
Shannon Hansen

Miso is a Japanese seasoning made by fermenting soybeans with a special type of fungus. Miso is full of probiotics as well as protein, fiber, and multiple vitamins and minerals. It is mostly used to make miso soup. 

4. Sauerkraut

Kelsey Coughlin

Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage and it is a staple in many European countries. It is often served on top of sausages or as a side dish. Sauerkraut has many other health benefits because it is high in fiber, iron, and manganese.

5. Apple Cider Vinegar

Phoebe Melnick

Apple Cider Vinegar has been all of the rage recently, and for good reason. It is a great source of probiotics as well as a numerous amount of other nutrients. This vinegar has been found to control cholesterol, diabetes, and aid in weight loss. You can add a few tablespoons to a glass of water and drink it, mix it with your favorite fruit juice, or even use it as a salad dressing.

If you're looking to improve the health of your stomach, intestines, and aid in healthy digestion, start eating these probiotic-rich foods. Consuming bacteria isn't always gross!