The promise of a new year marks the opportunity to try new things. Some people make serious lifestyle resolutions, like working out or drinking more water. Others look to make the new year more exciting by trying new things.

This year, for me, is going to be the year of the liquid lip. I love makeup—especially lipstick—but I often find myself in a lipstick rut. Over and over again, I choose the same colours. Luckily, I found a way to try out new lipsticks by finding a similarity between makeup and my other hobby: food.

I've rounded up eight liquid lipsticks from eight different brands that are all named after a food or beverage. Makeup-lovers and foodies rejoice, because your lipstick game is about to get ten times stronger.

1. Jeffree Star Cosmetics - Pumpkin Pie

With the holiday season coming to an end, I'm left dreaming of the delicious homemade pumpkin pies that made their annual appearance across the nation. Luckily, the sweet and savoury magic lives on in Jeffree Star's Pumpkin Pie velour liquid lipstick.

Released as part of Star's holiday collection, Pumpkin Pie is a dusty orange lipstick with a twist. What makes it stand out amongst other orange lipsticks is the formula's addition of small micas of glitter. The glitter starts out subtle, making Pumpkin Pie a wearable colour for everyday looks, but you can make it more noticeable by rubbing your finger against your lips.

2. Anastasia Beverly Hills - Milkshake

Soft, frothy, and nostalgic, milkshakes are indulgent and delightful. Nothing beats the look of a classic, diner-inspired milkshake, but Anastasia Beverly Hills' liquid lipstick comes close.

The shade Milkshake is described on the Anastasia Beverly Hills website as milk with a hint of peach. The creamy shade stays true to its name with a colour just like a light strawberry milkshake.

3. Colourpop - Donut

Donuts are some of the most versatile baked goods. Savoury or sweet, topped with icing or filled with jelly—no matter how you like them, they make for a tasty treat. Colourpop's liquid lipstick in Donut is just as whimsical as the world's favourite dessert.

Released in June 2015, Donut was part of the first collection of liquid lipsticks Colourpop created. A year and a half later, Donut has stood its ground as a unique, bright salmon shade. At only $6, Donut makes for both the ultimate pop of colour and a style steal.

4. Kylie Cosmetics - Brown Sugar

Brown sugar is a kitchen staple. Whether you're using it in baked goods or glazes, the combination of refined sugar and molasses makes for irresistible dishes. For lips that look just a good as brown sugar tastes, try Kylie Jenner's liquid lipstick in Brown Sugar.

With nude lipsticks being on trend, the shade Brown Sugar is a baby step into filling the void of nude shades for people with deeper skin tones. This shade looks stunning on all skin tones and shows a step in the right direction for inclusivity—now that's what I call sweeter than sugar.

5. Tarte - Texas Toast

Toast is the basis of many good meals. Brown, white, multigrain, or rye, your avocado is sure to taste delicious slathered on all kinds of bread. If you haven't been living under a rock your entire life, you know that everything is bigger (and better) in Texas. Texas Toast, double the thickness of your average sliced bread, serves as the inspiration behind this lip paint by Tarte.

This limited edition liquid lipstick was made in collaboration with YouTube content creator Grav3yardgirl. The colour is described as nude, but it's more of a muted mauve with grey undertones.

6. Too Faced - Candy Cane

Candy canes are an iconic signifier of the holiday season. The swirls of red and white and the taste of peppermint signal that the countdown to Christmas is on. For the 2016 holiday season, Too Faced released a limited edition melted matte lipstick that definitely does the holiday staple justice.

Candy Cane comes in what Too Faced calls "the perfect holiday red." As if that wasn't festive enough, the lipstick itself smells like a peppermint mocha. The formula includes a non-stinging plumper, so if you're looking for the right red to give you the perfect pout all year long, this is the lipstick for you.

7. Lime Crime - Beet it

Whether you hate them or love them, you have to admit that beets are gorgeous in colour. Verging on deep magenta, they're an absolute standout in a sea of vegetables. Lime Crime's matte velvetine lipstick in Beet It is equally as outstanding as its namesake.

Beet It is has a berry red hue, making it a bold yet wearable pop of colour for all seasons. Whether you want to rock it through the winter months or need the perfect lip colour for a summer outside, Beet It is bound to look great.

8. NYX - Tea & Cookies

There are many foods that spark good memories for people, and one of those things for me is a good cup of tea. There's a feeling of warmth and familiarity that comes with tea; it's gentle, much like the colour of NYX's liquid suede lipstick in the colour Tea & Cookies.

Tea & Cookies is described as a muted tea rose pink. It's a soft, wearable colour that's perfect for any occasion. For a gentle lip look that even grandma will approve of, be sure to give Tea & Cookies a try.

Although these are all great lipsticks, this list isn't exhaustive. There are many amazing brands that create incredible liquid lipsticks (whether they're named after food or not).

Take this year to get out of your comfort zone, try new food, and try new lipsticks. The best things happen to those who take risks.