Sleep: everyone needs it, but most college kids aren’t getting nearly enough of it. Time and time again, waking up early for class means choosing between eating a wholesome breakfast or getting 15 more minutes of sleep. Luckily, there is an easy solution to make sure you never have to sacrifice sleep for breakfast again. The secret to shaving minutes off your morning routine? Make your breakfast before you go to bed. That’s where overnight oats come in. 

This breakfast staple is completely customizable, nutritious, and easy as hell. If you can mix a few ingredients together and leave them in the fridge while you sleep, congrats! You are more than qualified to make overnight oats. The only difficulty is in deciding what kind of oats to make. You probably already have potential ingredients like yogurt, fruit, nut butters, and chocolate.

Some recipes need a few minutes in the microwave, while others are simply stirred, but all are delicious. These overnight oats recipes are guaranteed to improve your morning, no matter the occasion. 

When You’re Recovering From an All-Nighter

gif
Arden Sarner

The morning after a sleepless night is always rough, but streamlining your morning routine does wonders for morale. These mocha overnight oats save the day by taking multitasking to a whole new level. With coffee already mixed in, you can skip the Starbucks line and still get a caffeine boost.

The fiber-packed oatmeal will have you feeling full all morning and the chocolate chips and chocolate hazelnut spread offer much-needed chocolate therapy.

When You'd Rather Be Eating Dessert for Breakfast

cream, cake, chocolate
Hana Brannigan

In a perfect world, chocolate cheesecake would be an acceptable breakfast choice. These cheesecake overnight oats offer a much healthier alternative without sacrificing taste. A layer of Greek yogurt brings plenty of protein and probiotics to the table. Stevia adds sweetness without the drawbacks of white sugar. Now that’s how you eat cake for breakfast. 

When You’re Craving Something Fruity and Filling

Maggie Harriman

Even in the dead of winter, nature's candy always brightens up breakfast. Luckily, these chia seed oats have fruit as the star ingredient so you can reap plenty of antioxidants and dream of an endless summer. But the chia seeds aren't just taking up space: these little seeds are packed with fiber, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Substitute the nectarines with any seasonal fruit to keep things fresh. 

When You’re Workin’ on Your Fitness

cream, oatmeal, chocolate
Alixandra Rutnik

You might have guessed that oatmeal would be a great post-workout meal, but what about an Almond Joy? These oats taste like chocolate, almond, and coconut, so they’re basically the same thing. High-protein almond butter helps you recover from a tough workout...or finals week. Go (coco)nuts.

When You’re Feeling Nostalgic for PSL Season

bread, cinnamon, banana
Hailey Maher

Starbucks only sells the (in)famous Pumpkin Spice Latte during the fall, but these oats will have even the most die-hard fans satisfied year-round. Just round up a banana, almond butter, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Make that PSL live on forever.  

Who knew breakfast could be so easy? Try one or try them all, but no matter what life throws at you, these overnight oats recipes are bound to have your back.